Replacement

One month. That's all we had. One month to prepare for an intense battle that could end in all of our deaths.

I still hated the idea of risking the only person that had ever caused me to be happy, for something like Aro and his unnecessary law. I hadn't ever met a wolf, but they couldn't be that bad. I hadn't tried to convince Jane to leave since the last time. She wasn't going to change her mind, and arguing further would be pointless.

The only thing I could do now was train, so I could protect the both of us. I almost never left the training room. My throat ached, but I didn't want to hunt. I didn't want anything to distract me from the task at hand, and guilt for killing an innocent is something I just didn't need.

Jane had become rather quiet. She was becoming more and more anxious about the execution. She spent most of her time in her room reading. Reading helped her calm down. She told me that it was sort of her escape. I wondered why she wouldn't just escape in real life, but I never asked her. I knew what her answer would be. She'd never betray Aro.

I walked up to Demetri casually. Me and him had become acquainted during our many training matches. He won everytime, but I kept trying. I ended up being sore by the end of the day because of the many attacks I would take, but it was good practice.

"Hey Demetri." I greeted. He nodded to me.

"I can't today Kian. Aro and Caius are meeting with me." He informed me. He could just automatically assume what I was going to ask him, because we literally didn't interact unless it was for training.

"Oh okay." I mumbled. I didn't know what to do now. There wasn't anybody else here. I sighed and walked out into the hallway. I wasn't sure what to do with myself. Without conscious thought I walked over to my old room. I hadn't visited Artie in a long time.

I knocked on the door, but there was no answer. I knocked again, but everything was silent. I slowly opened the door, and peeked inside. Instead of Artie's usual happy face, I was met with a young, terrified girl. She sat on the bed, and shook with fear.

"Hello?" I greeted. I took a step inside, and she started to cry quietly.

"Are you okay? Where's Artie?" I questioned her. She didn't take her frightened green eyes off me.

"Pl-Please d-don't hurt me." She whispered and more tears fell down her face. I nodded, and took another step toward her.

"I'm not going to hurt you. I promise." I said, giving her a small reassuring smile. She looked up at me with wide teary eyes. I held out my hand for her to take, and she hesitantly took it. I helped her off the bed, and onto the floor. Her black mop of hair, fell down shielding most of her face. She looked to be maybe thirteen years old.

"What's your name?" I asked gently.

"Lillian Janette." She whispered. I nodded and gave her a smile.

"It's nice to meet you Lillian. I'm Kian Byers." I let go of her hand, and walked over to the unlit candlestick. I lit it so the room was brightened slightly.

"What's going on?" She asked shakily.

"How much do you know?"

She didn't know much. I explained to her the fact that we are vampires, and that she was serving the Volturi. I gave her advice on how to stay out of trouble. She took everything surprisingly well.

"So do you know where Artie is?" I finally asked her.

"Artie?"

"You don't know him?" I questioned. I was growing more nervous. When I thought about it, I hadn't seen Artie in a long time. Months actually. Lillian shook her head.

"Huh, I wonder where he us." I thought out loud. Lillian just sighed and wrapped her arms around her stomach, like she was going to be sick.

"Everything is going to be fine, I promise. I'll see you around Lillian." I smiled. She gave me a small nod, and I walked out of the door.

Where the hell was Artie?

I walked down the hall leading to Jane's study. I opened the door to find Jane sitting in her armchair reading poetry. She glanced up at me and gave me a smile, then quickly returned to her book.

"Honey, have you seen Artie?" I questioned. Her face became grim, and she gave me a shake of her head. She closed her book and stood up. She slowly walked up to me, and put a hand on my cheek. I looked at her in shock. What happened to him?

"Honey, Artie's dead." Jane whispered, and stroked my face. I shook my head not believing what I had just heard. Jane nodded, and stroked my face again.

"I'm so sorry Kian." She whispered. Tears perked at the corners of my eyes, but I blinked them away. Artie was my friend. How could this have happened?

"Why?" I whispered. She just shook her head and wrapped me in a tight hug. I hugged her back, and continued to blink away my venom tears.

"I'm sorry," Jane said into my ear. "I know how much this hurts you. I wish there was something I could do." She whispered.

"How?" I questioned and shook my head. I still couldn't believe it.

"After you turned he stopped caring about his work, and they had to get rid of him." Jane whispered.

"It's my fault." I panicked. I had killed my best friend. I was a monster.

"No honey, It's not your fault." Jane said and pulled me into a tight hug. I melted into her embrace. I couldn't believe this.

Artie was dead and it was my fault.

No.

They didn't have to execute him. They could have let him go.

The Volturi killed him.

Aro killed him.