Escape Attempt

Artie and I scrubbed the hundreds of black and red cloaks. We had been going at it for hours and I was beginning to feel exhausted. My arms felt like spaghetti and my back was killing me.

"So how old are you Kian?" Artie asked casually.

"Nearly Eighteen. What about you?" I asked taking deep breaths.

"Twenty... one I believe. I've almost lost count." He chuckled light heartedly.

"So how did you end up here?" he asked.

"St. Marcus' Day." I answered.

"Ah, I see. That does bring in a lot of people."

We continued to work in silence for a while. I started breathing heavily. I wasn't used to working this hard.

"Why don't you turn in early Kian? I'll finish up here." Artie said kindly.

"Okay Artie, thank you." I would have normally been more polite and stayed, but I was physically and emotionally spent.

I turned and left for my bedroom. I kept at a steady pace trying to remain as quiet as possible. I eventually found my bedroom door. I went to twist the handle, but something stopped me. I backed away from the door and continued down the hall. Screw Artie, I was going to escape. I couldn't stay here anymore.

I walked for at least ten minutes. I came to a stop at the end of the hall, and there it stood, the door to my freedom. I turned the knob, but it was locked. I extended my arm to unhook the deadbolt, when I felt a cold hand rest on my shoulder.

"Going so soon?" A malicious voice whispered. I turned around and found a boy who looked to be about my age. His hair was a dark brown and his eyes were the same glowing red I had grown so fearful of.

"Are you going to kill me?" I asked weakly.

"No, where's the fun in that?" He smiled widely. His expression scared me, and I knew I was going to suffer. The light from the torches danced across his features making him seem all the more threatening. The world went dark out of nowhere. I held on to the door so I wouldn't fall down. A sharp stinging smack hit my face. I felt as my body hit the floor, but my vision did not return. He grabbed both my wrists and raised them above my head.

"This is going to be a memorable night for you, boy." The vampire laughed wickedly. I was dragged across the hard stone. I wiggled trying to get loose, but I got a blowing kick to the head that nearly caused me to go unconscious.

I was dragged around like a ragdoll for a long time. I finally felt my wrists hit the cold floor. A door slammed in the distance and my sight returned to normal.

I was in what looked to be an office. It wasn't very big, but there must've been thousands of books. I stood up slowly, being cautious just incase something was broken. The only other furniture in this room besides the full bookshelves, was a large oak desk that sat pushed against the far wall. The door clicked open and light footsteps trotted up behind me.

"Good afternoon Kian." A familiar voice sang sweetly. I turned around and met eyes with Jane. She gave me a wicked smile. The boy who had caught me was standing behind her. He was smirking at me. I knew they weren't here for a chat.

"I'm s-sorry." I stuttered. I was embarrassed at how scared I sounded.

"Oh, you will be." The boy threatened. His voice was cold and serious. "Sister dear?" He called to Jane.

A sharp burn covered my body, and my bones ached. I gasped for air, and I let out groans of agony. I fell to the floor and moved myself into the fetal position.