🥀

" I told you not to worry...didn't I?" Jonah asks me, showing around his test paper.

"It's a B minus..., " I roll my eyes.  But I was so proud of him, he did well. He worked hard for this.

" Not everyone is a genius like you, " he tells me cutting me off mid-sentence.

I roll my eyes again just to annoy him.

" But I am proud of you, " I tell him, genuinely this time.

" I know that, " he smiles.

I take out a book and start flipping it, while Jonah unpacks his lunch.

He pushes his sandwich to me.

" You forgot your lunch again, didn't you?" He shakes his head.

" And what are you going to eat?" I ask.

He points to the apple he was holding and nudges me to eat the sandwich.

" It's no problem Jonah can have mine, I brought way too much anyway, " Heather says and sits down beside Jonah.

Jonah brightens up like he always does whenever she's around.

My stomach turns. I begin to lose my appetite.

" Thank you, Heather, you're such an angel, " Jonah thanks her. I see him inch closer to her. Heather does too, their heads almost touching. I watch them from the opposite side of the table.

An angel, yeah. Heather to the rescue as always. Jonah's Heather.

" Thanks," I whisper.

I look down at the sandwich and pick it up to eat.

But you are Jonah's only Cy. I remind myself just to push down the lump in my throat.

🍂🍂

Vote and comment