Chapter 1

The pounding of my feet on the packed dirt filled my ears, the sound making my head almost foggy. The fog helps me clear my mind, see what was really bothering me, what I actually wanted. When I see my car ahead, I want to roll my eyes slightly, I wish the run was longer.

Tala sits a few feet ahead, waiting patiently on the sidewalk for me to come to a stop.

"Good girl," I smile at her, scratching between her ears, I motion forward towards the car, excited to finally get some water. My head falls back against the headrest as I gulp down my water, Tala watches eagerly waiting for me to fill her bowl, I giggle slightly as I watch her lap up the water like she's never had any before.

As I go to put my key in the ignition I catch a glimpse of a man staring at me. I turn in my seat, trying to get a better look at the man, but he's already disappeared. Shrugging it off I pull out of my parking spot, heading back home.

"Okay Tala, I'm going to need the candles, crystals, herbs, and maybe some salt." I glance over at her to see her raising her little white brow, " Okay, you're right I'll need salt, but I don't want to use it all!" She huffs at me in response as she sticks her over sized head out the window once more, letting her tongue flop out as the wind messes up her grey and brown coat.

Continuing down the street I see Kaida pulling off her gravel road, I wave at her as she passes me, probably going to get more food. I laugh as she lifts up her pizza box, she motions for me to follow as she laughs a little. Nodding, I make sure no one was coming before doing a little U-turn, so I was now following her into town.

Pulling into our favorite pizza place my stomach grumbles slightly, empty from my run. Before I walk in I pull out Tala's collapsible bowl, taking my water bottle, I untwist the lid and watch as my water waterfalls down into the bowl, then I set it in the backseat. 

"Be a good girl," I say scratching between her large ears slightly. Kaida, waits for me at the door before giving me a big smile. 

"I had to get prepared for tonight." She says once I'm within ear shot, shaking my head slightly I laugh before following her in. We smile at Debbie, Mr. Russo's wife, before taking our normal seats. Debbie, walks over quickly with Kaida's pizza box, and big slices of our personal favorites.

"How's the day treating you girls?" She asks with her slight Chicago accent. We smile, holding a up a thumbs up with our mouths full of their legendary pizza. She laughs, one of the laughs you can feel in your stomach, before she walks away, trying not to trip over chairs as she does.

"So, how is your setting up going?" Kaida asks as I take another big bite. I nod before attempting to swallow and not inhale my food.

"Uh, pretty okay, I was going to go check out my alter after I ate," I answer as she nods in response. She giggles a little, and I can't help but to laugh, Kaida giggling is the most ridiculous thing you will ever see. She always has to cover her mouth, and he pale features always turn a light shade of pink, but she's trying so hard not to burst out laughing.

"What's so funny huh?" I ask, smirking slightly as I do. I began to wiggle my eyebrows and I watch as Kaida nearly chokes on her slice of pizza.

"Hey! No dying in my restaurant!" We hear Mr.Russo yell, so we try our best to hide behind the menus, giggling slightly. We peak over the menus to see Mr.Russo laughing behind the counter.

I glance out the window, to see a very impatient Tala glaring daggers at me, I can't help but to cringe under her intense eyes. Kaida, seeing my reaction looks out the window too, but she just starts laughing.

"Yeah, I should probably start heading home too." She says with a chuckle, "Tala doesn't look too impressed with you, Amaya." She says as we walk up to pay the bill.