Chapter 7

I woke up with an ache in my back the next morning, the couch was not very comfortable if I'm  being honest. Today Kaida and I were going to go run errands in town, it had become our Saturday ritual since her parents left. I hear Damiana in the kitchen, probably making tea, well Kaida is passed out on the floor. I laugh a little as I carefully step over her, making my way into the kitchen.

"Good morning," Damiana says, "How'd you sleep?" I start the coffee, mostly for Kaida when she gets up before answering.

"I always forget how uncomfortable couches are." I grab my lower back trying to stretch a little. Damiana laughs before getting out waffle ingredients. I help her by grabbing some bowls and the waffle iron, trying to be as quite as possible.

"Grease the iron and I'll make the batter." Damiana says as she hands me the coconut oil spray. We work silently, enjoying the little bit of sunshine that filters through the kitchen window. I hear rustling in the living room before Kaida appears, her hair a frizzy mess and some drool on her tee-shirt.

"Good morning sleeping beauty!" I say before handing her a cup of coffee. She mumbles slightly before sipping her black coffee. I chuckle slightly before I snatch the first waffle, dipping it in syrup before taking a bite.

"Have you ever heard of a fork?" Kaida asks, I shrug before taking another bite. She shakes her head before snatching the next waffle. We eat in silence but Eclipse lays in Damiana's lap purring softly. The morning is easy going, everyone taking their time to clean the living room and get somewhat put together.

Noon rolls around, Kaida and I are finally loading our stuff into my car, including our pets. Tala huffs slightly as she jumps into the back seat, annoyed by Kaida taking her spot up front. I chuckle slightly, my shoulders hitting the back of my seat, Kaida rolls her eyes at my over dramatic dog as she clicks the seatbelt into place.

"Bye Damiana!!! Have a great weekend!!" We shout, our hands waving madly outside the car windows. I see Damiana smile and wave at us on the review mirror as we pull onto the highway towards my house.

"Ready for our grocery shopping adventure!" Kaida fiddles with the radio as she shrugs. The static grows annoying so I toss her the CDs from my car door. "Put in some early 2000's Miranda Lambert, I'm in a man hating mood." Kaida laughs as she puts crazy ex girlfriend into the CD player. The lyrics drift through the speakers and a grin makes it way on to my face.

"His fist is big, but my guns bigger!! He'll find out when I pull the trigger!" I scream as we go fly down the highway towards home. Kaida laughs, her arm hanging out the window and her hair a mess as I go around a corner, just enjoying the simple moments of our friendship.

I start to slow down as I see the willow tree in the distance, getting ready to pull into my driveway. I pull up next to my stairs, putting the car in park and getting ready to throw all of my stuff into the living room and then head into town.

"Kaida can you help me throw all this stuff into the living room?" We move quickly, and putting Tala and Mango inside as well, grabbing shopping bags and then quickly making our way back to the car.

The car ride into town is silent, not thick awkward silence just comfortable silence. The best thing about being around Kaida is no one is rushing to fill the silence we can sit together comfortably and still have a good time. But during this silence I notice her rubbing her ring , her shoulders tense as she thinks.

"Hey, are you okay?" She looks startled by the sudden noise but is quick to smile.

"Yeah, I was just thinking about the study group. Azazel was being weird." I nod, remembering the protection spell comment, "Amaya, do you think he's working with him?"