21. One not so calm morning and a little cliffhanger at the end

Frisk was the first to wake up, and almost fall off the couch.

"You guys squished me tonight!" They mumbled, not even looking at Papyrus and Undyne, who were still snoring.

Alphys came down the stairs. "N-note to self. Don't e-e-ever sleep in j-jeans again."
She lay eyes on Frisk. "Oh, g-good morning."

" 'Morning, Alphys. Did you sleep well?"

"Y-yeah."

Frisk smiled, seeing Papyrus was beginning to wake up.

"Undyne, how did you end up on top of me?"

"That's what I was wondering, too!" Frisk said in amazement.

Undyne lifted her head and rubbed her eyes, trying to make herself wake up. "I don't know what you guys are talking about, you had your legs all over me."

"Tell that to my aching neck. That's where you rested your foor!"

Undyne ignored Frisk's complain and got up. She looked around the floor amd finally found her hairtie. She put her hair in a messy ponytail and went to the kitchen.

"I think we have everything we need to make some pancakes!" She called.

Frisk hurried to her side and looked thorugh the cupboards for a pan. Right when they were about to raise their head and say they found it, Sans teleported at their side.

"and you tell me pansexual doesn't mean you're attracted to pans!" He said.
Frisk jumped, surprised by his sudden appearance. "I swear to god if I hear that joke one more time..."

They didn't finnish the sentence, but Sans stepped back ironically, like he was indeed scared. "fine, I'll leave you and your pan girlfriend alone." He said.

Frisk raised the pan, threatening to hit him. Sans teleported to the other side of the kitchen, bumping into his brother.

"Looks like your in the way of everyone, today." Frisk said, smiling.

Sans igmored the snarky comment. "sorry, paps. the kitchen is kind of packed."

Although it was a pun, Sans was right. Undyne was getting out all the ingredients for pancakes, with Frisk right at her side. Alphys was sitting at the table and was looking up recipes for said pancakes. Papyrus also stood next to Undyne, ready to help, while Sans got caught somewhere in the middle of it all.

He got to the fridge and pulled out a bottle of ketchup, then returned to his bedroom.

He found Grillby still sleeping, now having the entire bed for himself. Sans smiled at him, and sat on one corner of the bed, trying not to wake him up.

But Grillby wasn't sleeping as peacefully as Sans thought.

Snow. That's all he could really see from inside the restaurant. It was cold, and the doors were almost frozen shut. He just needed to get the money out of the cash register and get out. Afterall, there was a human around and they were on a killing spree.

Everyone, or, everyone left, to put it better, was escorted to New Home. He hated himself for staying back, for the little money he found in the restaurant.

He felt somehow safe. As safe as you could feel when all your world seemes to be falling apart. But the human wouldn't be returning to Snowdin anytime soon, right?

One loud bang on the door startled him. He got closer, to inspect what was happening outside. What if it was the human? What if they wanted him dead, too?

Blood, dust and, well, snow covered the doors. Grillby opened one carefully and took a peak outside.

"Sans?"

The skeleton was leaning against the wall, next to the door. Grillby dragged him inside and closed the doors once more.

"Sans are you ok?" He asked desperately.

Sans's body felt limp. Looking better at it, Grillby saw the slash at his ribs. Thick blood stained the white shirt above it and the blue jacket.

"Sans please say something! Sans!"

Grillby was knelt down, holding his friend in his hands.

"Sans? Sans say something! Please!"

Inside was almost as cold as outside, but he still took his jacket off and lifted his shirt. He pressed his hands to the cut, in an attempt to stop the bleeding.

"Sans I know you can hear me! I... I know you can! Please don't die!" He was desparate. He wished for all of this to not be real.

Using one of his sleeves, he wiped the thin trail of blood at the corner of his mouth.

"Sans please!" He felt tears fill his eyes, and blurr his vision. "Don't die on me, Sans!"

No response. Grillby hugged the body tighter, closing his eyes and giving in to the tears.

Sans slowly turned to dust in his arms, leaving only Papyrus's red scarf and his own blue jacket behind.

Grillby cried into that jacket, holding it close to his chest. Then, wiping off the tears, he put the jacket over himself.

The faint smell of ketchup filled the air.

He had to get out of there. The human should be close if they killed Sans.

They killed Sans.

The realisation hit him like a brick to the face. But he had to get to Hotland. It was safer there. The human must be close.

And they were closer than he thought.

The doors swung open and they stepped in. That's right... He didn't lock them.

Grillby stood up from the floor and rolled up his sleeves.

"You're gonna pay for this." He said, adjusting his glasses. "You know... I'm not the one you want to owe anything to. And now, you owe me my friend's life!"

With that, he aimed two fire attacks at the human. They dodged almost carelessly, and attacked with their knife. Grillby dodged. Filled with rage, he threw another attack their way.

He gave it everything he had. Not that it meant a lot, he lost a lot of things since that human came down.

And his everything wasn't enough.

"Why do you do this?" He was tired of fighting. And yet he had a feeling he wasn't the first one to try and talk the human out of it.

"Don't you have anyone you care for? You wouldn't want them dead, would you?"

He tried to hit them with another attack, but he was so broken he was barely able to use his magic.

"That's so cute!" The kid said, with a demonic kind of sarcasm. "He wore his brother's scarf. And now you wear his jacket. Too bad nobody will take your glasses or something."

They slashed at Grillby's soul with their knife. He fell to his knees. Blood, once again, poured on Sans' jacket. That much with trying to avenge him, huh?

Grillby woke up suddenly, jolting up from bed and holding onto the blanket for dear life.

Sans got so scared his eye started glowing.

"for god's sake, grillbz, are you ok?"

"Sans, is that you?"

A/N: ☆ 1130 words. And that amazing art I found and put in the media bar. Some people really are talented. See you, dears!