36. Still trying to balance all the love and the angst around here

Sans hit his head on the kitchen table.
It was 3 am, Grillby was sleeping, Didot was sleeping. Asgore was sleeping too, because he could hear him snore through his laptop.

He was facetiming Frisk, who had just remembered they had an important test the next day in Physics.
It's important to note that Frisk isn't the brightest when it comes to Physics.

But they know someone who is, and that someone is now at his kitchen table, cofee in hand, trying to explain stuff about colors, lights, sounds and waves and what else.

"Sans, please! I know you're tired cause I am too, but if I don't get an A, goat mum is going to kill me."

The skeleton raised his head and took another sip of the coffee.

"i'm not tired, kiddo, you tire me. we've been over 5 formulas for half an hour now and you don't seem to get it."

Frisk crossed their arms, letting their pen fall on the open book they had in front of them.
"Well, I'm trying!"

"then you're not trying hard enough!" Sans raised his voice.

He heard the kitchen door creak open, and a very tired looking Grillby entered.
He had a t-shirt and boxers on and He was scratching one of his eyes. Sans guessed he had woke him up.

"hun, why are you up so late?"

Sans smiled at him, waiting for his boyfriend to take a seat at the table.
"how did you get from the bedroom to here without your glasses?"

Grillby shurgged. And flopped onto one of the chairs.
"What's shinning on your face?"

Sans smiled at the fact that Grillby couldn't make out the shape of the laptop.

"it's the laptop, love, i'm talking to frisk."

Grillby nodded.
"Why are they up so late?"

"Learning." Frisk's voice could be heard responding.

Grillby hummed an "mhm".

Sans sighed.
"love, you're tired. why don't you go back to sleep. i'll be there in a minute."

"I'm not leaving you here." Came the tired response. "You'll stay until morning and I'll have to drag you out of bed."

Sans shook his head, in total disagreement with Grillby's logic.

"want a coffee then?"

The other nodded and Sans poured him some.
"don't spill it on yourself." He said, half joking, half meaning it.

He continued talking to Frisk, who was somehow more eager to learn now. Amd they finally seemed to understand everything better, which made Sans happy.

"Yeah well, now I think I can get an A, but I'm definitely forgetting all this next week."

Sans puffed out some air in amusement.

The skeleton was ready to say goodbye and close the laptop, when Frisk stopped him.
"Hey, Sans?"

"yeah, kiddo, what's up?"

Friks gulped and looked around, almost like they were expecting someone to appear out of nowhere and hear them.

"Do you... do you dream?"

Sans let his smile fall a little, pretty confused.
"i'm pretty sure everybody does."

Frisk sighed and got closer to the camera.
"No... Like... Do you ever dream stuff like... Me killing you?"

Next to him, Grillby suddenly jerked up.
"Yeah, he does."

Sans shot him an angry look, but when he saw how tired Grillby looked, his heart melted and he ended up smiling.