The Jasmine Dragon

Y/N's POV
I felt someone's fingers running through my hair, I slowly sat up and rubbed my eyes with my left hand.

It was Zuko, I was still in Zuko's room.

"Good morning, Y/N! Isn't it such a lovely day today?"

He said that in a surprisingly chirpy voice.

"Oh, uh- good morning? I guess..."

He jumped up from his bed, without letting go of my right hand and made his way to the kitchen, pulling me along with him. He yawned and sniffed the air,

"What's that smell?"

Iroh replied,

"It's jook. I'm sure you wouldn't like it."

Zuko pulled me over to the pot and inhaled the scent of the jook and smiled to Iroh,

"Actually, it smells delicious. I'd love a bowl, uncle."

Iroh raised an eyebrow at him before turning to me and noticing our hands were still intertwined, he raised his other eyebrow and I just shrugged.

He looked back at Zuko,

"Now that your fever is gone, you seem different somehow."

Zuko chuckled slightly before replying,

"It's a new day. We've got a new apartment, new furniture, and today's the grand opening of your new tea shop. Things are looking up, uncle."

Zuko let go of my hand and handed me a bowl of jook before getting a bowl for himself and sitting down in the dining area and digging in.

I awkwardly smiled and thanked him before sitting beside him and slowly trying to consume the jook... it wasn't the best thing I'd ever eaten.

What on Earth is going on with Zuko?

"Zuko, are you okay?"

"I'm great, Y/N! I'm so grateful for everything that I have-"

He placed his hand on my shoulder and smiled,

"And I'm so grateful that I got to come here and experience this with you."

Usually that'd send my heart beating wildly, but this time I was just confused.

"Right..."

Iroh seemed pretty content, and I was glad that Zuko seemed somewhat happy, but I remember who Zuko was before he was banished, I remember who Zuko was before he lost his mother... and this was not him.

I went to clean up and put on my new uniform for Iroh's tea shop opening.

It was a silky, 'Earth Kingdom green' tunic, but it wasn't accompanied by an apron this time, the design was exquisite.

After the doors to Iroh's tea shop had officially opened, it was absolutely buzzing with people. I was stood behind the counter making tea to hand to the waiting staff as I over head a conversation between Zuko and Iroh as they stood appreciating the shop:

"Who thought when we came to this city as refugees, that I'd end up owning my own tea shop. Follow your passion, Zuko, and life will reward you."

"Congratulations, uncle!"

"I'm very thankful."

"You deserve it! The Jasmine Dragon will be the best tea shop in the city!"

"No, I'm thankful because you decided to share this special day with me. It means more than you know."

Then I watched as Zuko pulled his uncle in for a hug; although, I didn't recognise the person that Zuko had woken up as today, it was really amazing to see the relationship that he had with his uncle and the way that he had begun to openly to appreciate him more.