~~ Chapter Twenty-Six ~~

"If you get in trouble in heaven, I'm not going to help you," I warned playfully as I rested my hands against Colby's chest. He was leaning against a table while I essentially leaned against him. He had about five minutes before they'd be leaving to head up to heaven.

"And if you get in trouble down here, I'm not coming to help you."

I raised a eyebrow at him.

"I won't help you, the devil will." His eyes flashed red. I couldn't help but smile as I leaned forward to kiss him, placing a hand on the side of his face. He copied me, only he made the kiss feel heated.

I found myself moving my hands to his neck when he suddenly placed his hands on my waist and pulled me right up against him. My back naturally arched to make my body closer to his, but our moment was ruined.

"Hey, we got places to be!" Jake yelled as something hit my back

"Hey, we got places to be!" Jake yelled as something hit my back. I pulled away from the kiss, lifting a middle finger to Jake without even looking at him.

"Sometimes I think they forget who their king is," Colby said slowly, glaring in Jake's direction.

I smiled and kissed him for just a second then pried his hands away from my waist as I stood up straight. "You gotta be careful. We both know God's-"

"On his last legs, yes, I know," Colby sighed as he stood up, letting go of only one of my hands. He brushed some hair behind my ear looking down at me. "Remember not to feel bad about the prisoners. Sympathy doesn't go down well down here."

"What's sympathy?"

Colby rolled his eyes before kissing me one last time and letting go of my other hand.

"Love you," I said quickly.

"I love you, too, my queen." And then he finally turned around to walk over to the group waiting to leave. He started talking to them while I leaned against the same table he had been feeling slightly dreamy. A part of me wanted to just stare into space thinking about him, but I soon felt a presence beside me and turned my head to find Tara.

Unlike what I'd expected, she didn't look all tease-y and cheerful, but instead worried. "Are you scared for them?" she asked me seriously, nodding towards the group.

"Why would I be?"

"Because of heaven! You know... god? I don't know, I just have a bad feeling."

"Maybe that's because you're going to be under my command for a while," I joked even though in my head, it was true. Nobody wanted to be under my rule even temporarily in the house. I wasn't in any way prepared for a role so big when I was merely a warrior for hell, which - besides a few normal humans - was the lowest I could possibly be.

"That's not what I'm worried about at all, Ari. You're going to be a fantastic queen. Trust me. Colby couldn't have picked a better woman."

I felt my cheeks reddening before I noticed Colby's cute little grin at me. He looked at me like I was the only thing that mattered, and I'd never been looked at in that way before.