~13~ Wellness Checks

Ellie's POV

Today is the first day of shift since the breakup. I'm still completely devastated, but I'm going to make the best of today. I have had many, many crying sessions, but I always make sure Liam isn't around for them.

Last night was the worst. Liam went out to go pick us up some dinner, and I completely lost it. I had accidentally packed one of Taylor's shirts in with mine; It was my favorite shirt on him. I fell to the ground holding it, sobbing. Alex was home. He came in and just sat with me—He knew I didn't want held. He knew I didn't want him telling me everything was going to be ok. Instead, he sat with me and waited for the worst to pass.

"Come on, El, we'll even let you pick the show tonight," he said simply. This is why he's been my best friend since we were kids. He gets me.

So today, I'm heading in with my head held high. What I mean by that really, is that I'm gonna fake it till I make it.

Roll call was awkward. I was one of the last ones in. Everyone was talking and goofing around until they saw me—Then dead silence. Taylor was there, but as soon as I walked, in he stared at the ground until I sat down by Megan.

We haven't gotten far into our shift when...

DING
Engine 20, Truck 80, Squad 10, Ambulance 20, Car accident, person pinned, 92nd Valley Way

To say I'm relieved for a call makes me sound horrible. I'm not relieved for a call, but I'm relieved to get out of this house for a while.

We make it there quickly and notice that a bus has  ran into a guard rail, and somehow a victim is now trapped under the bus.

Preston rushes over there immediately and yells "Diego, let's get cribbing and airbags under here and we'll lift the undercarriage off the curb!"

"Yes sir!" Diego yells as he does what Preston ordered.

After a few minutes, the bus is lifted slightly up off of the ground. Preston examines the one side and realizes he cannot get in such a small space. He looks for Moss, but she's busy helping another victim.

"Freeman!" He yells, and I turn to meet his gaze.

"I need you to slide under here."

He heads around to the other side—The opening there is bigger, and he can get in that way.

I run over and slide in the small opening, trying to forget the fact that I'm majorly claustrophobic. Preston is now on the other side of the victim.

"I need you to help me slide this backboard under him," he orders.

I do what he asks, and then help him shimmy the man out from under the bus. Our hands keep touching each other's, but we ignore it as we awkwardly try to avoid eye contact. We get the man out, and Megan and I take him to the hospital.

He was in bad shape; More than likely he isn't going to make it.

Once we get back, Chief has us go into the briefing room for a quick meeting.

"Listen up," he begins as he sifts through a ridiculously large stack of files. "Commissioner Jones is insisting that we all get a wellness check. So, I've appointed Freeman as the lucky winner."

"Ugh, Chief really? What did I do to piss you off?" I ask as I cross my arms and pretend to pout.

He chuckles softly as he hands me the stack of files. "I want these all completed, and the reports on my desk, by end of shift tomorrow. You better get going, Ellie girl!"