~39~ Best Friend

Ellie's POV

Today's the day! I'm marrying the love of my life.

Taylor proposed three months ago. We both decided that we didn't want to wait to get married. I didn't want a big fancy wedding, I just wanted to marry the man of my dreams.

I wake up with butterflies in my stomach. Taylor stayed the night with Greene over at his place—We haven't been the most traditional in our relationship, but I at least wanted to keep the tradition of not seeing each other before the wedding alive. Megan stayed with Sasha and me last night, getting the last few details done that we needed.

"How you feeling?" Megan asks as I come out of my room.

"Nervous," I say as I go to cut up a banana for Sasha.

"You're nervous about marrying him?"

"Of course not. I'm just nervous for the day," I say as I give Sasha a bite of her banana.

We chat for a couple minutes as we start gathering everything we need. Suddenly Liam comes through the door, with Alex behind him.

"Hey guys! Right on time!" I say as I go over to give them both a hug.

"Hey Sash! Come to Uncle Alex!" Alex says as he scoops her up and kisses her. I don't know what it is about this girl, but she has won the hearts of everybody. Anybody she meets, instantly becomes putty in her hands.

As he's holding her, he turns to me. "El, can I talk to you for a minute. Outside?"

"Sure," I say as he gives Sasha another kiss and hands her off to Liam. I follow him outside and he shuts the door.

Once we're in the hall, he turns around and looks at me. He takes a deep breath before he starts talking. "I wanted to catch you alone before the day gets too crazy and I miss my chance." He pauses for a moment, to collect his thoughts.

"I am officially relinquishing my best friend title," he says, giving me a cheesy grin.

I just look at him, confused.

"I can't be your best friend anymore... that title is now officially Taylor's. However, I am still, and always will be, your second best friend. I'll have to break it to Megan later—she just got demoted to number #3," he says, chuckling a little.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry I couldn't be what you needed all of these years. I've always been in awe of your strength and your fire. I've always wished I could have been more for you. More of a man. More of a dad to Liam. I'm sorry. You've found your other half, and I couldn't imagine you with anyone else. I would never be relinquishing my #1 title to anyone else—But he's earned it," he says, with tears streaming down his cheeks.

I reach up and give him a hug, and a kiss, letting the tears fall down. We've had our issues, but he's been the best, best friend. We've raised a pretty amazing son together. This was the best thing he could have done for me. My best friend has relinquished his title. He stayed my best friend for as long as I needed him, and then he stepped down once his job was done.

"I love you. I wouldn't be where I am today, without you," I say as I kiss him again.

"I doubt that," he says, chuckling again. "Something tells me you would've been just fine. I'm the one who wouldn't have been the same. You're something special, Eleanor Freeman." He kisses the top of my head once more. "Ok, enough of this. Let's get you married!" He says as he shakes my shoulders lightly and pushes me gently back towards the door.

Alex and Liam watch Sasha for the next several hours, while Megan, Taylor's sister, and I get our hair and makeup done. Once we're ready, we head to the church. The girls help me in my dress, and we get our pictures taken. Alex and Liam bring Sasha then, and we get her dressed and get pictures with her too.

Once all that is done, we're waiting in a room, with ten minutes before the ceremony. I'm a wreck. I feel like I'm going to throw up. Liam comes into the room and gives me a hug. "Don't be nervous, momma. Taylor is a wreck too."

"He is?" I ask. That surprises me.

"Oh yeah. Greene's been helping him. He looks like he's gonna throw up."

It makes me feel a little better that he's nervous. At least I'm not the only one suffering over here.

The time has come, and we start lining up.

Greene and Taylor's sister walk out together first. Then Liam and Megan... Taylor was adamant that we had to wait until Liam turned 18 to get married, so he could stand up there with him as his best man. That meant the world to Liam.

We really wanted Alex in the wedding... even though that probably looks kinda weird. However, up until a few hours ago, he was my very best friend. So, we decided that he would carry Sasha down the aisle. Even though she can't walk yet, she was still our flower girl. He then sat in the front row, holding her for us.

The music changed, and it was time for me start walking. "I know I haven't been the best dad, but I sure do love you, Ellie girl," Dad says as he wraps his arm through mine and starts leading me towards the open door.

"Just don't let me fall, dad," I whisper, smiling at him.

"Even if you fall, you would just pick yourself back up. You always do.... but I promise, I won't let you fall today," he says, giving me a kiss as we start walking.

The amount of people in the church is overwhelming. All the people I love, in one room, cheering us on. Agreeing with us that we are meant to be together. My eyes meet Keegan and Diego, tears streaming down their faces. I see my brother Justin, winking at me. I even see Jake. He's actually smiling. Chief Ryder's smile could be seen a mile away. Greene claps Taylor on the back as Megan wipes her eyes. Alex is there, holding my daughter—always there. Liam is smiling, with tears streaming down his face. They are all there. Always supporting us. Always in our corner.

The only face I'm focused on right now, is the one who is trying desperately to keep his composure, but failing.

His smile is huge. The tears are streaming—He takes my breath away. I can't believe that in just a few short minutes, I get to be his. How is that even possible? My dream didn't end, it only got better. More pieces got added.

We reach the end of the aisle, and my dad hands me off to Taylor. Before dad goes to sit down, I hear him whisper. "I know you're going to take care of her more than I ever could. Thank you for being the man I wasn't."

Taylor just smiles and shakes his hand. Once his eyes meet mine, however, he never looks away. We stare into each other's souls as the preacher reads the vows. We exchange our rings, and we wait patiently for the time to come. It finally does. For better or for worse, till death do us part. We are one. We are married. He's kissing me, and I'm kissing him. The entire church is erupting.

"Mr. and Mrs. Taylor Preston!" The pastor announces as we stand at the front of the church, facing our family. Before we walk down the aisle, Taylor grabs my hand and stares deep into my eyes.

"What do you say, Mrs. Preston. You ready to start our life together?" He asks, his smile never leaving his face.

"I thought you'd never ask," I say as I reach up to kiss him again. My husband. My best friend. My future.