~37~ Apologize

Ellie's POV

I've got to fix things. I've got to swallow my pride and ask him to forgive me. I do not want to go through one more day like this. I've never seen him so mad at me before. He's never ignored me before. If I'm being totally honest, usually it's me ignoring him and he's the one asking for forgiveness. I don't like being on this side of things.

Yesterday was awkward. There's no other word for it. Liam could sense the tension immediately. He asked if he could stay at a friend's house last night, and I let him. I'm usually pretty stingy when it comes to my time with him. However, the environment was heavy, and this wasn't his fault. It was mine.

I went to the grocery store this morning, and Sasha stayed with Taylor. When I get home, he comes over silently and helps me put away the groceries, not even glancing in my direction. I've had enough. I cannot, and will not live one more day in such tension.

He's got his head inside the fridge, putting lunch meat away, when I finally get up the courage. I go over once he gets his hands out, and I shut the door, forcing him to look at me. I stare at him for a moment, gauging his reaction. He's still really, really upset.

"I'm sorry, Tay. I regretted it as soon as it happened. Please forgive me," I say, looking deep into his eyes.

He doesn't say anything, but his eyes get a little softer as he nods silently, and goes back to the groceries.

I take the bread out of his hands and put it back on the counter. "That's it? I mess up and now you can't even look at me?" I say, getting annoyed. I'm not used to being on this side of things, ever.

"What do you want me to say, Ellie? You asked for my forgiveness, I forgive you," he says, turning back to pick up the bread.

"So we're just supposed to live together in silence from now on?" I ask, crossing my arms. I don't think he's ever been so mad at me. Even the time I accidentally broke his mom's vase. I think he's madder now.

He sighs quietly. "Fine. What would you like to talk about? Work? No thanks, don't feel like it. Sasha? Sasha's good. She had a giant poop while you were gone, but there's nothing else new to report. Liam? I haven't heard from him today but I would assume that he's fine. What else could we possibly talk about, Ellie?"

"We could talk about you kissing me," I blurt out before I can stop myself.

His eyes get dark and his jaw clenches. That was definitely the wrong thing to say.

"No thanks," he says as he slams the bread back on the counter, smashing it beyond repair. He goes to his room and slams the door. I stand there in silence, and let the tears fall. I really, really messed up.

He's in his room for a long time. I don't bother him. I just do some cleaning around the house, and then decide to make some homemade chili and cornbread. It's Taylor's favorite, so maybe I'm trying to win over his good graces with my cooking.

After several hours, Taylor finally comes out. He glances at me in the kitchen and sits on the barstool at the island. He still looks upset, but not mad anymore.

"Sorry," he says quietly, staring at his folded hands he has resting on the countertop.

I stop chopping the tomatoes and wipe off my hands. I walk over to him and put my hands on top of his.

"I'm sorry. I'm really, really sorry," I say as I meet his gaze. He still looks upset, but I can tell he's starting to actually forgive me.

I walk around the island, and give him a hug. He's still sitting on the bar stool, so he spreads his legs a little so he can hug me back. I can't make eye contact with him right now, so I just whisper in his ear.

"I've been waiting for you to kiss me for months now. When you finally did, I panicked. I'm so sorry."

I immediately feel his shoulders relax. Finally. He pulls away from me and looks me right in the eyes.

"I will never hurt you again. If you take me back, you're gonna be stuck with me for the rest of your life," he says. His voice is casual, but his eyes are pleading.

I say nothing. I want this with all of my heart. Why can't I say anything?

"Ellie Jane, I want to kiss you again. If I do, will you smack me?" He asks, still not breaking my gaze.

I simply shake my head. I'm so nervous I can't even speak.

He smiles slightly, and cups his right hand to my cheek. Then he takes his fingers and wraps them around the back of my neck, and gently pulls me towards him. Going slowly—Giving me a chance to back out.

I don't.

Instead, I tilt my head so that when our lips connect, we'll fit perfectly. And then our lips connect. It's as if sparks are literally flying.

The warmth that's been missing for almost a year pools back into my belly. Suddenly I realize just how lonely for him I really have been. I wrap my fingers into his hair, and pull him closer to me. I can feel his stubble on my cheeks, his hot breath on mine.

Suddenly his lips find my neck, kissing me up and down as if we've never been apart. He's still sitting on the bar stool, so I straddle my legs over his lap so I'm sitting with him, trying to mesh my body so we're one.

"I've missed you," he says, trying to catch his breath.  I put my hand over his mouth to silence him, and I shake my head.

"Don't tell me, just show me," I say as I kiss him again, harder. He knows what I mean. He doesn't even hesitate as he picks me up, still kissing me, and carries me to his bedroom, shutting the door.

It's a long time before we come back out. We had 11 months of catching up to do. Once we came together, it was as if we were never apart. Our bodies began where we had left off.

After a while, we sit on the couch, snuggled up. Sasha is still sleeping in her swing, none the wiser. She'll never know that her parents were once apart. She'll only remember them being together, completely and utterly in love.

"I've never been so happy in my entire life," he says, whispering into my ear.

"That makes two of us," I say as I start kissing him again. Like I said, we have a lot of missed time to catch up on.

He chuckles slightly as he kisses me again, and gets on top of me, not even wanting to take the time to head to the bedroom.