-5-

ANAYA CALDWELL

"Just head on out to our receptionist and she'll schedule your next whitening, alright?"

"That's perfect, see you soon Anaya."

"You as well Ms. Bent." I waved goodbye and waited for her to leave my examination area before I rose to my feet and stretched. Practically ripping the mask off my face, I picked up my tray of tools and walked them over to the sanitation area. I made sure to dispose of my gloves as well and wash my hands before grabbing myself a fresh tray.

Our in-house cleaner took care of making sure the chair was properly sanitized for my next patient. In the meantime, I headed on over to the closet where my purse was hung up. I took out a protein bar along with my brand-new phone that I had secured in the most expensive protective case I could find.

Waltzing over to the breakroom, I ripped the package of the protein bar open with my teeth while sighing with disappointment as I read over the text message displayed on my home screen.

Jason

I tried, he said he isn't ready to talk. Hopefully tomorrow? Sorry sis.

"Working overtime again?" I heard my colleague say in his thick British accent while entering the break room behind me, he was one of the younger guys. Phillip worked here for about a year right out of school just like me. I took his advice as bible being as I hoped to one day be as advanced as he was for his age, Phillip was trusted with both the opening and closing of the dentistry regardless of him being the last newest hire. Phillip was quick and skilled with his hands; he was a quick learner and an even better teacher. I think he was one of the reasons that I was even able to land the job here, he gave me such great feedback that they practically had no choice.

"One more cleaning then I'm done." I forced a fake smile while tucking my phone into the pocket of my scrubs. "How about you? you've been here all week."

Phillip reached into the fridge for his lunch and came out grinning, "it's stack season. I'm trying to pull as many shifts as they give me."

"I feel you on that one." I pulled up a chair at the opposite end of the table he chose to sit at, leaning back with satisfaction at the fact that I finally was able to rest my back on something. After 8 hours of back to back patients, my back was beginning to ache.

"How you liking it so far?" he asked, while opening up a Tupperware container to a freshly made salad.

"It's interesting how the pace has changed since just being an intern. It's also crazy that they've trusted me this much with so many patients. I mean, I know I'm only handling cleaning and whitening for now but it still is something."

"No doubt, it's a great sign." He poured vinaigrette all over his salad then licked off his thumb. "The volume you have as a beginner shows that they notice and take note of your skill. I can't say I'm surprised through because you did learn from the best." Picking up his fork, he gazed over at me. "Not to toot my own horn or anything."

I playfully rolled my eyes meanwhile taking a bite of my protein bar. Phillip also dug into his meal, "You do know those things are packed with sugar, right?" he pointed towards my bar with a fork.

"Actually, it says no sugar added."

"Check the ingredients for sucralose." He said while stuffing his mouth again.

"Having it once in a while won't hurt."

"Say that to your teeth."

"Okay, not everyone has someone making them prestige salads every single day. This is a quick grab and go, makes it easy for me in the morning."