-12-

ANAYA CALDWELL

Two weeks had gone by since Yara broke the news to my mother about us knowing who our father actually was. Disappointment was an understatement, not only was she upset but she was enraged to the point where she had told us we needed to move before the end of the month. At first, I very well thought she was joking but the second day she had purchased a bulk of large moving boxes for both Yara and myself, giving us no other choice.

Thankfully, Prince had come over to assist me with the packing meanwhile Yara had nothing but her and her daughter's room to focus on.

"Do you know where you're going to stay?" Prince asked while taping up the last box that contained my kitchen items.

"Not really, it's been two weeks. I see places that I like but being as I am still young, in debt and just started working a stable job; it's hard to get approved by good enough areas."

"I hear that. You and I both know that my doors open whenever. I got a guest room that we can set up and we can put the rest of your things in storage until you get yourself together."

"I appreciate that, if it comes down to it; I most likely will be taking you up on your offer."

"Just let me know when." He pushed the box to the side and leaned against the counter, shaking his head as he looked around the place. "Empty as hell."

"I know, it feels so weird seeing it like this." I pointed towards the couch, "I'm going to get a moving company to come and grab those. The fabric can't be ruined."

"Iight,"

"And they can handle the heavier furniture in my room, other than that. I'd say that we're pretty much finished here." I walked over to him with my arms open, "thank you for all your help."

"You know it's nothing." He leaned down to hug me tightly. Letting go, he reached into his pocket for his phone to check the time. "I should get going soon, I gotta pick up Quincy."

"Oh of course, did you still wanna grab some food first?"

"I doubt I have time," he looked around, grabbing a couple mini chip bags that sat on the counter. "I took these out earlier, they should hold me over until I get something."

"You have been here all-day Prince, the least I can do is pay for your food."

"Anaya, it's alright. Right now, you gotta save your money and try to find yourself a crib. Don't worry about me, I can handle a little combo or something on my own." He nudged me with his elbow. "Keep me posted on what the next move is, so that I can shift around my schedule to help out."

"Will do." I nodded.

"Tell your mom and Yara, I said what's up." he began dialing a number while rushing towards the door, pressing it against his ear he gave me one last hug before turning the knob. "Hey Krystal, I'm on my way now." he spoke upon exiting.

I shut the door behind him then sighed at the sight of the empty apartment. It was such a bittersweet moment. As much as I knew this time would come eventually, I didn't see it ever happening like this. Thinking back on my mom's rage that night caused my chest to hurt, the betrayal in her eyes at the fact that we had gone out of our way to find the man that she hated beyond words was enough for me to know that I had done too much.

This drama had me distracted from the entire Dominic situation to the point where I hadn't even reached out to my dad despite his many calls after overhearing the blow-up my mother had that night. I knew talking to him was far too risky with her being on high alert now.