-18-

ZAHRIAH CRUZ

"Knock, knock."

I looked up to see my mother walking through my front door, holding up a Popeyes bag in one hand and a bouquet of flowers in his other. Using her foot, she shut the door and tucked the bouquet under her arm to double check that it was locked. "They're pretty much done with all the moving boxes, huh?"

"Pretty much." I muttered under my breath, returning my attention back to the screen and focusing in on the Prison Break episode.

"I come baring gifts! Figured this could cheer you up a bit." she announced, walking in front of the television and handing me the bouquet.

"Thank you, mom." I mustered up a fake smile and hoisted my body up to take it from her. Giving it a whiff, I placed it onto my lap.

"How you feeling today? When I left you were out like a light; it's a good thing we went with the idea of that couch being the last thing we move out, huh?"

"Yeah, I've just been in my thoughts a lot lately, sleep seems to be the only thing that fixes everything."

"Isn't it always?" she smirked, placing the food onto the coffee table and heading to the bathroom to wash her hands. While she was gone, I helped myself, knowing that the spicy chicken sandwich just had to be mine. Unwrapping it, I leaned back into the couch and took a bite. "So, your mom sent me a text to let me know that she finally landed."

"Same," I nodded.

"My flight leaves later tonight and yours, tomorrow afternoon. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to get yours bumped up. With the new restrictions seats are so limited."

"I can only imagine. There's a whole pandemic going on outside, so I much rather be safe than sorry. Especially with..." I pointed towards my belly, "this going on."

"100%." She agreed, opening up the bag to take out her meal. "That's kind of also why I wanted to ride with you, knowing how unwell you've been. I feel uneasy having you fly alone."

"I'm a big girl." I smirked, "I'm sure I will do just fine."

"Sure, you will," she agreed. "Oh! And tomorrow, if you don't mind, I need you to drop the keys off in the mailbox at the cottage. The new owners aren't free until tomorrow night so we're going to miss them completely."

"Not a problem." I said, nonchalantly. "I still can't believe you guys went ahead and sold it."

"What can I say? After everything that went down, I forced your mom to search for a buyer. I have no plan of us returning. You're coming to Korea with us and you're the only thing we really had left back here."

"Hmm, I guess so."

"I know you aren't all that excited but trust me; you'll love it. Once you're settled and get used to the culture, you'll feel right at home."

"It's not that I'm not excited... it's just that..." I shook my head, "forget it."

"You wished that he would've come back."

"Yeah, like the idiot I am." I laughed to myself, "it just sucks knowing that he left on such a bad note. As much as I am fine doing this single parent thing, I would've loved to at least let him know, you know?" I kept my attention on the screen, "not knowing whether he's dead or alive, keeps me up at night. I've searched for the past two months and nothing seems to be working out for me."

"I know baby girl," she cleared her throat. "A situation like this, I'd never wish for you. However, you have done all you possibly could. You waited around and even went out to do your own search. I pray that he is alive more than anything and although I know the constant question will forever be in your head, you gotta move on with your life." Her words hit me like daggers, "you've allowed this entire situation to take over and control of far too much of your life. You've missed out on so many opportunities just sitting around. I support you in all things, which is why I opted to extend my vacation and stay out here with you; but there comes a point in time where I gotta be real and let you know that enough is enough." I glanced over at her, raising my brow. "It hurt me to watch you like this... that's exactly why this decision to lay up and get pregnant wasn't a good one. It may have sounded like it during the time but look at you, attached for life to a complete stranger that has come you're your life and practically ruined it at the end of the day. You should've gone ahead with your plans... not some spur of the moment choice."