-7-

DOMINIC ALEXANDER

DOMINIC ALEXANDER

The duffle bag began to weigh heavily on my shoulder as I walked up the hill that once was my old stomping grounds for a few years. Although Thompson had offered to give me a ride up here, I really needed to clear my head after everything that went down with Anaya. It was quite painful of an experience but I knew more than anything that it was the right thing to do here in this moment.

Seeing my old home was so refreshing, everything that it meant just came back to me. It was the refuge we had found after the hell endured under the same roof as my father. It was the blessing that we didn't deserve.

The small bungalow sat on top of the hill with pride, looking exactly as it had when purchased. Although the landscaping was now much more well-kept and the garden was flourishing. No amount of remodeling can change what this house right here meant to me.

I adjusted the strap on my bag as I felt the nerves begin to set in at the sight of my mother's Fiat sitting in the parking lot, right next to it was the motorcycle that I'm assuming belonged to my little brother. From what I could remember he was always the dare devil of the family, so it wouldn't surprise me if it was.

I examined the entire area making immediate connection to what was there before I left and what wasn't. My mother had made mention of redoing this place multiple times before so none of the new additions surprised me, in fact they looked a lot better than I would've ever imagined. For a single mother of three, she was doing the damn thing and doing it well.

I glance up at the sight of the window curtain shift, which caused me to stop abruptly. Within seconds the front door opened and I grinned from ear to ear at the sight of my beautiful little sister racing out the door and running towards me. "Dom!" she shrieked so loud that it caught me off guard.

"What's going on Chubbs?" I pulled her into a hug, lifting her now slim figure up off the ground.

"Now chubbs anymore, thank you very much." She said with confidence as I placed her to stand.

"I can see that, you look good!" I squeezed her cheek. "What kind of diet were you on?"

"It's called highschool, trying to keep up with the trends will do that to you."

"I thought I told you not to fall into the tricks of peer pressure."

"You did, but it's always easier said than done."

"I hope you aint getting into no trouble." I gave her a stern look which caused her to laugh. "What good is life without the trouble?" she answered in question form.

"Still slick with the answers, I see."

"Welp, you know me.

"I'll deal with you ass later," I placed my arm over her shoulder and pulled her a bit closer. "Is mom home?"