Chapter Fourteen.

After changing into her bathing suit, she and James broke into the snacks while Eliana eyed the water. "Ib it cobld? James asked, his mouth full of chips. Eliana shrugged and stuck her finger in. She yanked it back, shouting

"It's cold!" Aubrey laughed. "No, it's like, ice water cold." Eliana said with a shudder.

"Alright, that settles it, I'm going in." Aubrey said with a grin.

"You'll get hypothermia if you go in there!" Shouted Eliana.

"You sure?" Called James.

Aubrey just laughed. She didn't want to feel how cold it was ahead of time, because she'd probably back out. "Wait, you're serious?" Eliana asked.

Aubrey spotted a ledge that overlooked most of the water. It was pretty high up, but the water seemed deep enough that she wouldn't actually get hurt. Aubrey stepped to the top. It seemed a lot higher from here. She closed her eyes, imagining it was burning hot outside. She could almost feel the heat on her skin. The warmish air around her suddenly felt unbearably hot. The cold would be welcoming, she said to herself. She tried to convince herself that. Without a second thought she jumped.

The cold hit her like a truck, washing over her. Eliana was right. It was cold. Her body froze for a moment in shock, before the adrenalin kicked in. She smiled, holding her breath. It was really cold though. She floated under the water for a few more seconds, knowing that she would probably freak out her friends. When her lungs started screaming for air, she kicked up gasping for air. She laughed, shaking her head with glee.

"Oh my god, are you okay?" James said, immediately at her side.

They were both in the water now, kicking their feet to stay above the surface. She laughed and nodded. Eliana was still staring at the water looking horrified. "Is it cold?" She asked tentatively. "Not once you get used to it." James said. She nodded, and then cannon balled in, the cold water splashing them. Aubrey yelped as the wave washed over them. James grinned and wiped water off his face. Aubrey smiled, as Eliana resurfaced, spitting out water.

"You lied!" Eliana accused, punching James in the arm.

He laughed, and Eliana pouted. They all laughed, the sound echoing around them.

---

While Aubrey had enjoyed herself, her main concern was how fast she could get to her bed. Aubrey walked in the house, only to be greeted by Mr. Michal.

"Hey, how was your swim?"

She shrugged, but smiled. They had swam for about three hours, froze to death, and then got some take out to have on the car ride back. They mostly just listened to Broadway tunes, or napped in the car. Aubrey hadn't slept, but Eliana conked out the second she got in the car. James and Aubrey had chatted, trying to keep as quiet as possible not wanting to wake Eliana. Mr. Michal nodded, and smiled. Just when she thought their conversation was over, Mr. Michal said,

"Let me know if you want to go again sometimes. You might even get a chance to push Lee into the water." Aubrey hesitated before saying quietly,

"I would like that."

She smiled at him before walking up to her room. She immediately collapsed on her bed, putting on some music as she slowly drifted into unconsciousness.