Chapter Thirty Eight.

"Guess what day it is!" Carter squeaked. Aubrey groaned and reached for her phone, checking the time. "Carter, it's 7am. Last time I checked it's still winter break. Which is great, but..." She yawned, and buried her head in a pillow. "I'm not sure that another break day constitutes being woken at 7am." She muttered, her voice muffled by the pillow.

"Y-you don't remember?" Carter asked.

"Um, no? Look, can I just sleep in a bit more? If you had a nightmare, I'll tuck you in but-"

"No, no, no. Nothing like that. It's December 23rd."

"And this constitutes being woken up at 7am, why?"

"It's your birthday."

Aubrey peeped out from under her pillow.

"Is it?"

"Um yes."

"Huh. Can I go back to sleep?"

"Aubreeeeeey!" Carter squeaked, and she grinned. "I'm just joking kiddo. Do you think Mom will let me have cake for breakfast?"

"Um maybe?"

"Really?" Aubrey asked, dragging herself out of bed.

"Well yeah, she does for our birthdays."

"Hold the phone, you get cake for breakfast? Like, every birthday?"

"Um yes?"

"Wow. Remind me to wake up early on your guy's birthdays. You might just find there's none left by the time you wake up." Carter started to protest, but Aubrey just ruffled his hair. "I'm kidding. What kind of cake did you guys get me?" Carter shrugged. "Mom wouldn't let us see it. Something about saboteurs in the household." Aubrey grinned and looked at Leon's bedroom door as they passed it. "That's about right. I know you wouldn't sabotage my cake."

"Um."

"Um...?"

"You know, cake tastes pretty good..." Aubrey laughed and ruffled his platinum blonde hair again. "Funny joke kid."

"I find it interesting that you think I'm joking." Aubrey laughed again, and stopped in the kitchen. On the counter, a large round cake sat on the counter, perfectly un-sabotaged. It was a beautiful navy blue, with purple roses lining the edges. In the middle, powdered sugar dusted the frosting, making it look like a night sky. Aubrey caught her breath, staring at the beautiful cake. James sat on one edge of the counter, Eliana on the other, and Lexi was busy trying to grab something from the top shelf of the cabinet. Her Mom was trifling through the fridge, and Aurthur the dog sat at her feet, dutifully licking up any food that fell.

Aubrey put her hands to her mouth, stifling a sob. Her Mom immediately turned to look at her, probably shocked to see tears trickling down her face. Her Mom wrapped her arms around her, and Aubrey took a moment to stop crying.

"Are you okay, my child? What's wrong?" Aubrey smiled, and closed her eyes. "I'm just happy. Really, really happy." Aubrey felt little arms around her stomach, and she looked down to see Carter hugging her.

"Your cake is sooo pretty!" He said with a glowing smile, beaming up at her. They all distangled themselves, and Aubrey turned to her friends.

"Thank you." She whispered, fighting back tears. At all her foster homes she had never, never, been offered this much love. From family and friends alike. "Thank you." She said, her voice much clearer. They all smiled at her, ranging anywhere from Lexi's shy half smile, to Eliana's huge beaming grin.

"Happy birthday!" Lexi, James, and Eliana cried in almost perfect synchronization.

"Thank you. So much, you guys really didn't need to-"