Chapter Twenty one.

The shrill sound of her alarm sounded, muffling her scream. Aubrey bolted out of bed, drenched in sweat. She closed her eyes trying to slow her rapid heartbeat. She stood in her room in silence for a few minutes, forcing herself to calm down at least a little bit.

Why did I have an alarm set? She thought to herself with a frown. As if summoned by her thoughts Aubrey's phone immediately exploded with beeping as text messages and calls rolled it. She quickly silenced her phone casting a worried look towards the door. She had been loud enough this morning and she didn't want to risk waking anyone else up.

Eliana: FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL!

Eliana: OH MY GOD I AM NOT PREPARED!

Eliana: YOU GUYS HELP!

Eliana: I HAVEN'T PICKED OUT AN OUTFIT OR ANYTHING!

Eliana: JAMES?! OH MY GOD ARE YOU SLEEPING IN AGAIN? AUBREY??

{Aubrey joined the chat}

Aubrey: Hey

Eliana: ARE YOU EXCITED?

Aubrey: eh

{James joined the chat}

James: hi

Eliana: OKAY, AUBREY YOU HAVE TEN MINUTES! I'LL PICK YOU UP, AND THEN

JAMES!

Aubrey: Ok

James: wait wat

Eliana: OK SEE YOU GUYS THEN!

{Eliana left the chat}

James: did i mis somthin

Aubrey: Not much

James: k se u then

Aubrey: Your spelling sucks man

James: :/

{Aubrey left the chat}

{James left the chat}

Aubrey sighed and shook her head cramming a bagule in her mouth as she walked. She started making an in head checklist going through any and all procedures necessary for getting ready for school.

Ten minutes later she was dressed in a light gray sweatshirt, jeans, and running shoes. (Just in case.) Aubrey slung her backpack on her shoulder and checked her phone for text messages from Eliana. When she didn't find any she pulled out her book and sat down, waiting as patiently as possible.

Even though Aubrey had tried to act indifferent she was really excited. And nervous. Nervicited. She tapped her foot anxiously on the floor and checked the time. Eliana should have been here by now. Her overly active imagination immediately started playing through every possibility that could have happened. Just when she thought she was going to explode, a text message appeared on her phone. She gratefully scooped it up only to see it was from James.

James: come outside

Aubrey frowned and walked outside, spotting James' car in the driveway. "Where's Eliana?" She asked leaning to the right to see if she was inside the car. "She's busy doing something right now."

James said staring straight ahead. She opened the car door and sat down, giving him a concerned look that he completely ignored.

"What?" Aubrey said as he started the car.

"She's busy." He repeated, not looking at her.

"I heard you the first time." She said, trying not to get annoyed.

"Look," James said, turning to face her. "It's not up to me to say what she's busy with. That's her business." Aubrey sighed, but nodded with understanding. "Sorry." They sat in silence for the whole drive, the only sound was the rumbling of the engine.

"I-is she okay?" Aubrey asked, trying to keep the fear out of her voice.

She saw James' eyes soften, "yeah she's fine."

Aubrey felt as if a weight she didn't know was there lifted off her shoulders.

"Good."

After a few minutes they settled down into normal conversation, laughing and making jokes on the way to school. Even though they were laughing, something seemed not quite right.