Home visits(14)

AN:  Please vote for the chapter below

XXXXXX

Rebecca

It has been three weeks now since I first hanged out with James at the market and we had become close friends rather quickly. Like I said, he had a nice aura. We literally had met almost every day since that coffee shop, even if it was just for 30min. I guess we just fit together well.

I was a bit hesitant to make a human friend once again because I was not sure I still knew how to be a friend. But things came naturally for me with James. I knew I was not going to make a female friend because females are so shallow. All they talk about is make up or gossip or any other unimportant thing. I never was into make-up. I loved myself pimples, and all. I also did not like to gossip. I guess I am an odd woman. I think that is also why James and I get on so well. We can talk about anything and everything.

I am slowly getting attached to James and a part of me says I should run away but the other part really wants to stay. I wanted to stay despite knowing very well that I would regret it later. I should not have made a human friend. But here I was attached to a human. James was fun to hang with and honestly, I was just tired of hiding. I had been living alone for as long as I can remember, and it was boring now. Besides, can I even recall what I had been doing for the past years living? Having to check my shoulder every time was not fun. It was tiring. Besides, I deserved to be happy and I felt happy when I was around James. I know that staying in one place means that there was a greater chance of me being caught but I really liked my life here. Besides, secrets always have a way of coming out.

Speaking of secrets, I knew that James had a secret that he was hiding. I was very curious as to what it was, but I also knew that I wanted him to open up to me and tell me when he was ready to share. I guess we just weren't there yet. This meant whatever his secret was it must be pretty big. But then again, I had secrets of my own that I had been keeping, so I wasn't going to judge him for keeping his.

I am currently busy cleaning my house because last night when we had dinner at African World again, I somehow ended up arguing with James about the food. He had ordered the Jollof rice with chicken. Now my dad and I never ate the jollof rice at the restaurant because we could do better. Yes, my dad and I usually cooked together. He had a recipe from his mom that we made. It was perfect. So, we never ever ate the jollof rice. Now the issue was that every time James and I went to African World, we would order the same meal. I could not have the jollof rice they sold.

So, I told James in a playful manner that I could make better Jollof and now I had to make dinner for the both of us. Don't get me wrong, I was a good cook but I was still nervous. Despite the years of practice to my name and having everyone who had eaten my food like and compliment it.

The truth is that cooking is not what had made me nervous. I was nervous because James was coming to my place for the first time and I guess I low-key wanted to impress him. I know that I was currently treading on dangerous ground. But I also know that I was in to deep now to just give up. I would just try and hold on for as long as I can.

I am not exactly what you called rich, but I did do well for myself. I live in a two-bedroom apartment that has an open plan kitchen. It is not that big but it sure is cozy. I for one loved it. I tried to keep it impersonal, so I decorated the place with artworks instead of family pictures. Not that I had many family photos to begin with. Taking into account all the moving I have done so far and me always losing things easily, I did not have much. To be honest I only had one family photo left. And it hurt to loo at that photo because I am not sure I will ever get to smile a genuine smile like the little girl did back then. Not to mention that fact that I could never hold my parents' hands again.

I lived alone in the apartment, so I had more than enough space. Thus I had the second room set up as a spare room. Honestly speaking, I don't know why I had a spare room. I didn't have any friends who would come sleepover anyways. My companions were usually drunk men at the bar and I wasn't bring any of them home.

It wasn't always like this though. I was part of a pack once. But then my parents died and the pack was afraid of my power so, they threw me out. This was all thanks to king Leonard, the Vampire king. Now, I am not one to entice violence, but I wanted that man dead.

So, I had prepared Jollof rice for us to eat with my grandma's recipe. I don't know much about my roots, because my father died when I was quite young. All he had left me with was this recipe for the most amazing Jollof rice and well, my gorgeous dark melanin skin.

"Trrrrrrrriiiiinnnngg," the doorbell went off. It was show time.

AN

QOC: Out of curiosity, how long after meeting someone would you invite them over to your house? 

Let me know in the comments

Ps: I hope you hit the vote button before you go