"coming around"

Charlie's P.O.V

"Joshua, are you okay?" I ask him as I sit beside him on our bench, the bench we've made together and installed it at our own secret place. I rubbed the top of my jean covered thighs and side glanced at him.

The dark skinned boy looked to be going through something, something that troubled him. He held a beer in his hand, clenching it tightly. I had become worried about him, I mean it's not like we haven't shared a few beers here and there but he wouldn't start drinking without telling me so we'd drink together.

Mind you we are only 14 years old, so we needed to create a plan a few days earlier if we wanted alcohol.

"He hit me Charlie-my dad-he hit me" he says after a few minutes of silence and occasional sips of our beers. I looked at him again and then I noticed it, a purple bruise around his left cheek and towards his eye. Rage begin filling my stomach as it traveled towards my chest.

I shook my head, having trouble finding words right now. Joshua's father was the town's local pastor. Super strict guy but-I never thought he'd go to these lengths. Hitting his children. I shook my head as I looked at him more clearly before I spoke, "Joshua-you have to tell someone-someone that isn't me. We have to go to the police''

"And say what Charlie? Hey my dad, the town's favorite pastor hits me. Who are they going to believe?" He asks himself incredulously as he then sets down his bottle of beer and stands up raking his fingers through his afro like hair. There was so much anger inside him. So much. I felt sorry for him, that he had to go through this.

So much that I too stood up while finishing off my beer then held onto his shoulder as I turned him to face me.

"The pigs might not believe you-but I do. And I'm going to go confront your father, hoping he'll see what he's done to his son so he'll stop!" I yelled with rage then took off, not letting Joshua hold me back any longer.

We took bikes to our secret place so I jumped on my bike and started pedaling like I was Usain Bolt but on bikes. I knew Joshua would catch up to me in a minute but I kept going, and finally I see their street, I pedaled faster making a sharp left turn onto their street and I remember their home was five houses down.

"One"

"Two"

"Three"

"Four"

"Fi-"

Suddenly an incredibly strong force knocked me on my side, taking the breath from my body. Joshua had tackled me off my bike and onto their front lawn. I had a hard time breathing, my chest felt like it was on fire, my head started spinning.

"I'm sorry Charlie. I'm so sorry-I just-I don't want you to do that. Please don't do it". He pleads with me as he gets off me and I lay there on my back, trying to take in steady breaths and waiting till I have a clear mind and not in pain so I could sit-up.

Once that had happened I then sat up and looked at him as he was looking back at me.

"I love you Joshua and I hate seeing this happen to you" I then said and it took both of us by surprise. I've never said I love you to anyone, including my parents, I know harsh but that was true. But meeting Joshua-him understood me, well not fully me because there was one thing he didn't know about me but other than that. I was grateful for him.

"Wow-Charlie Oldford has a heart after all" he mumbles out playfully and I shake my head at him frowning as to why was those the words he had to say and act like this when he basically has an act of violence on his face. But then he sighs and throws a piece of rock at my bike ignoring me as I give him a slight punch in the leg for that.