"getting better together"

Charlie's P.O.V

My legs bobbed up and down, both my hands were in a clenched fist as I sat in one of the cheapest plastic chairs as we sat in a circle. This was utter bullshit. I couldn't believe I thought that this was going to be okay. No, it was absolutely what I had assumed. Some preppy guy at the head of the circle talking to us like we are some rapid fucking animals and—

"Baby—you're very tense. Please relax" her soothing voice whispered in my right ear and instantly my legs stopped moving as I unclenched my fists. Well Dior attending my classes with me is a bonus. She doesn't say anything really, I mean if anyone dared speak to her then I'd have to throw their ass out myself but nonetheless I appreciated the fact that she was there.

"Uh so—Charlie is it?" He speaks and I look to the front of the circle and into his eyes. I've never been called on. What the fuck did he want was all I was thinking as I seemed to be in a staring contest with the middle aged man. It was when I felt Diors hand on my knee rubbing gently is when I found my voice.

"Yes—Charlie. Hi—I'm Charlie" I said then winced at how idiotic that sounded and then winced again as the group had chanted, "Hi Charlie".

"Hi Charlie. So—how about you tell us a little bit about yourself. When—when did you notice that your anger was getting out of hand and realized that you needed to control it?" He asks me and I begin to tense up again and this time Dior's soothing warm touches didn't help.

Come to think about it. I had thought this growing anger started when Dior's incident happened but—it really wasn't. No. See like Joshua I had a parent that would hit things. For a short amount of time but still—I witnessed it. My father—and my mother.

I mean, I've never told this story to anyone including Joshua because he'd just be like, "wow—I never would have guessed violence. Just like some affair. No offense, never witnessed white on white crime". Anyways, I was quiet after he had asked me because well I contemplated telling the story and at last minute I shook my head and responded,

"Uh recently" was all I said and somehow he knew I was lying because he adjusted himself in his seat and sat up straighter.

"You know Charlie. This is a safe space. You are allowed to say whatever is on your mind. This is also an honest space. So—would you please elaborate on that" he says. And I wanted to punch this guy's lights on. I just—truthfully I wanted to be honest but—for some reason I was hesitant because of Dior's presence.

"Baby—you don't have to" she starts by saying but I had only held her hand in mine and looked up into the guys eyes as I spoke.

"When I was maybe around 10 I witnessed my father hitting my mother for the first time. Punched her right in the face. And—well she hit him back. Kept hitting him, there was screaming, things flew around the home. I—I just remembered that my body was shaking. I was scared as I hid behind the wall. I also remembered breaking up the fight. And just them looking down on me. I couldn't take the look in their eyes so I ran away. While running away I just felt so much anger. I mean any kid would in that circumstance right? But mine just kept going on—for years' ' I said then ended it there as I began to feel my throat become dry.

Everything was silent. You could hear a pin drop. Now this is awkward I said and was going to speak up again but I felt a nudge on my side and turned to see Dior. She looked at me with a look I couldn't comprehend. God I hope it wasn't fucking sympathy.

"Well—thank you for sharing Charlie. When a person experiences such trauma in their lives, it will light that fire, that fire of anger in your chest and as you shared with us Charlie. It went on for years. That's why it is important to be able to get those feelings out throughout the years and not hold it in" he says as he then suggests for the ten of us to buy a journal as we begin to document our anger.