"turning 4"

4 Months Later

Charlie's P.O.V

I woke up very early this morning, around four o'clock. I made myself a cup of coffee and sat outside in our veranda that came with the cabin. Over the weekend I had asked Dior to come up to the Grand Canyon with me so we'll stay there for a couple of days.

Was supposed to be a surprise but I guess I forgot to actually surprise her with everything going on with me lately. I sighed as I thought about that night four months ago, where my life changed, for the worst I might say as I gently reached into my side pocket of my sweatpants and pulled out a handkerchief as I then gently coughed into it, feeling my chest rumble afterwards.

Today is our last day at the cabin and then we'd have to head back to Bisbee as it is Malakai's birthday tomorrow.

I smiled absentmindedly as I traced the edge of my coffee cup thinking about my son. He's turning four. Just thinking back to when I had found out Quinn was pregnant and what I said to her the night I dropped her off.

"Are you gonna make me a baby daddy" I whispered to myself and chuckled but then shook my head as I'm sure I didn't quite exactly say it in those words.

I then sighed again as I thought about how I brought the news to Quinn and most importantly Malakai. I knew he was maybe too young to be understand my condition, you know cancer and all but I still told him and hopefully he understood.

He was probably wondering why his mother was crying but still--Quinn cried and cried, I was there and I too cried but mostly just for her, I cried for her because there might be a chance that I won't be raising Malakai with her till he grew old.

I held my phone in my other hand and contemplated just calling Quinn and talking to Malakai but decided to hold off and wait for tomorrow so we could surprise him.

So I had put my phone back into my sweatpants pocket, finished drinking my coffee and walked back inside the cabin as I then noticed that Dior wasn't in bed.

Instinctively worry began to settle in my stomach as I rested my empty cup of coffee on the bed nightstand as I then made my way to the bathroom and I saw the door was propped open just a crack.

I had thought about knocking but then decided against it as I pushed open the door just a little until I saw her looking at herself through the mirror, tears streaming down her face as she did her makeup-- well trying to. Her hands were shaking that she could barely hold the makeup tool.

"Dior? What's wrong?" I questioned her softly as I walked more into the bathroom and I too faced the mirror and looked at myself. Dark heavy eye bags hung below my blue eyes as I then noticed my head wrapped in my bandana. I sighed feeling embarrassment settle within me, embarrassed by what? I don't know. I just was. And to lighten the mood, I chuckled as I pointed at myself,

"Imagine going out with me, I mean look at me" I said and that made her turn around to look at me.

"Charlie—don't say that" she whispered to me and I smiled as I then I gently tried to reach for her to help her but she stepped away from me and my heart broke. I brought my hands to my side again and looked into her tear filled eyes.

My news was taking a toll on her. It was on me too but I had a better time not showing it.

"Answer me this, why do you not want to go out in public? like yourself" She asks me and I shake my head again, she was asking stupid questions and—

"Dior I'm not going to answer that—"

"Well you're the one that said it! are you embarrassed? Charlie, you have cancer. Do you not understand that?" She yells and that's when I stepped forward and engulfed her in my arms despite her trying to push me off.