CHAPTER 4 - Not Without Her

Four weeks in December went by and it's now January. Brooklyn and Trinity are back with for KING & COUNTRY to start the Burn The Ships tour for next four months. They got dressed, put their hair up, and took their Color Guard equipment into the auditorium to practice. The first concert is in three days and they're performing at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville.

The band was rehearsing the song, 'Amen'
on the stage. Brooklyn was in the left aisle, while Trinity was in the right aisle. They had their flags positioned to toss them over middle section of the audience. They aimed and pushed the poles through their hands. The flags flew in the air and the girls caught them.

"Hey, Brooklyn. Come here, I think I have an idea." Trinity said.

With that, Brooklyn walked over to the left aisle.

"What's your idea?" she asked.

Trinity went her Color Guard bag to get her rifle.

"What if after we do the partner toss, we quickly switch from flag to rifle during the silence in the song?" she suggested.

"I like it. What kind of tricks would we do?" Brooklyn asked.

"Well, since we're already in the aisles, it would have to be here. How about a Rifle Round-off?" Trinity said.

When she heard that, Brooklyn's eyes widened. Throughout her five years of Color Guard, she has never been able to master the Rifle Round-off.

"Huh. I don't know about that move, Trinity. You know how I am with that one." Brooklyn said, rubbing the back of her neck.

Before Trinity could say anything else, the room filled with silence. The band stopped for a break after 'Amen.' Joel and Luke jumped down from the stage and came over to the girls.

"Hey. You guys sounded good." Brooklyn said.

"Thanks. That toss over the middle section of the audience looked cool too." Luke said.

"Thanks. We're still debating on whether or not we should include that in the routine." Trinity said.

"Alright. Well, some of us are heading out to get something for lunch. We'll be back soon." Luke said.

"Okay, cool." Brooklyn said.

"Bye." Trinity said.

She picked up her water bottle and realized that it was almost empty.

"I'm going to get more water. I'll be right back." she said, then left the auditorium.

Brooklyn looked around to make sure that no one was around. She grabbed her rifle and tried to do the round-off. The first time she did it, she landed on her butt. The second time, she did it correctly, but stumbled on the landing.

Brooklyn had her rifle ready to in position for the round-off for the third time. She is determined to nail this move for the dance, for Trinity.

She took a deep breath and did the round-off. While in the air, the rifle slipped off her shoulder and pressed on her collarbone. When she landed on the floor, she also rolled her right ankle. The pain was excruciating. Brooklyn started to cry out for help.

                           ~~~~~~~~~~

Joel, Luke, Steven, and Teddy came back with lunch.

"Time to eat, everyone." Joel called out.

One by one, band members came up into the green room. Trinity came in with her water bottle. She got herself some food and sat down. Trinity started to wonder where Brooklyn was. Then, she could hear something through the walls.