23. the innocent fall first

"I think I'm going to be sick."

I looked over my shoulder to Malfoy bed, which had Crabbe, Goyle, Pansy, and Oden standing around him. I watched Oden posture, not even looking over his shoulder at any of us.

"He should have been bought by me immediately," Madam Pomfrey spoke as she ducked the kids head, holding a bottle in her hand as she got to Harry's bedside. I looked to speak to Hannah but I watched as her eyes drifted to Malfoy bed.

I ignored the gesture and gave light eyes as Malfoy looked over the large group that laid around Harry bed, the small group around him filtering out.

"He looks lonely," I whispered to Hannah.

She jumped but shrugged it off and looked back to Harry who was taking a swing of the drink Madam Pomfrey gave him.

"He deserves it."

"Nobody deserves to be only when they are hurting," I spoke softly, smiling as Harry made a face and almost spit the drink out.

"Well what did you expect, pumpkin juice?"

Harry shook his head and waved his hand off, looking between the team and the rest of us.

"You don't have to stay."

Fred and George opened their mouths to protest but Harry made those eyes behind his glasses silently begging them to leave.

Each team member said a goodbye, Harry smiling at each until Ron, Hermione, Hannah, and I were left. Hermione took the nearest seat, Hannah sitting on the arm of it while Ron stayed standing. I took a delicate seat at the edge of the bed, grabbing Harry's hand and squeezing once before I let go.

"Sorry we couldn't stop Lockheart," Ron had his hands behind his back and wouldn't let his eyes meet Harry's.

"It's not you all fault he's insane."

I smiled at the comment, looking over at Harry jello like an arm. The sight of him falling seemed to be stuck on a loop since it had happened, his body falling into the sand pitch like he took his last breath almost.

"I'm getting tired," Harry remarked softly.

"Oh of course, we'll get going."

We gave a quick goodbye, as soon as we made it from the bed I felt a hand grab one of my fingers lightly.

"I heard about what happened to Sage, tell her I'm sorry."

I smiled, telling him a quick "of course" before jogging to catch up with the others. The small gesture had a permanent smile sketched across my cheeks.

"I bet Malfoy elder is behind this," Ron muttered as we walked the halls of the castle, heading to check on the potion and then to the tower.

"I would agree but considering that bludger took Draco out the game I doubt he could do it," I offered to the group, it's not likely Ron would listen to my point anyways.

"You act like his father gives a crap about him," Hannah said as she pulled the girl bathroom door open as she headed into the large room.

Hermione ignored us while she walked to the potion, added a few bits a piece while we all complained.

The sound of rushed footsteps echoed down the hall, Hannah and I making quick eye contact before looking out the small crack in the door. Multiple professors were jogging, each of them holding something but they blocked the view.

"Should we-"

"Follow, of course we should."

Hannah and I slipped out while Hermione and Ron fell into an argument, our footsteps light as we followed them back to the infirmary. I panicked for a second that something happened to Harry until I saw them walk a few beds past his own. They laid something, someone, onto the bed. I saw the sight of small black shoes.

"I think he's been petrified," McGonagall announced to the few teachers in the room.

"Merlin, another attack?" Hannah whispered gently into my ear.

"Poor Colin," Ms. White spoke.

"Maybe he took a photo of his attacker."

I felt my heartbreak for the poor boy, his bright smiles and his ability to take photos of the most beautiful moments would be missing from the school for who knows how long.

I saw a teacher turned around, grabbing Hannah arm I pulled us onto the wall. Hannah nodded her head back to the bathroom, I followed close behind. Once we made it Hermione and Ron worried eyes fell to us.

"Were-"

"There was another attack from the chamber," I spoke quickly, almost scared I wouldn't have enough time to finish my words.

"What?"

Ron looked between us, his voice rising two octave as they looked between Hannah and I.

"It's Colin," Hannah walked to a stall and let her back slide down it.

"He's a first year guy, he doesn't deserve this."

I joined Hannah beside her on the floor, Hermione sitting beside Hannah and Ron joining on my other side.

"We didn't either," Hermione said breathlessly.

"Remember the last time we were all in a girls bathroom."

I looked to Hannah, the little smile playing at her lips as she dragged a ring up and down her pointer finger.

"We almost died," Ron said in-between chuckles, the air around him felt even darker than before.

"Why Colin?"

I let my hands fall in-between by knees, a hand rubbing circle on my back.

"It's always the most innocent, isn't that what they say."