The Story of Tonight

"Tommy, where are we going?" 

Wilbur stumbled through the tunnel, Tommy panting ahead of him. They had been traveling for what seemed like hours, stepping one foot in front of the other in silence. Fundy shivered against Wilbur's chest, clinging closer to him for warmth. Tubbo limped behind Tommy, face pale with exertion.  

"We're here." 

Wilbur nearly crashed into Tubbo as Tommy stopped suddenly in front of an obsidian wall. He broke it down with 2 swift movements of his diamond pickaxe. The team burst into the small room on the other side. Tommy sealed the exit, enveloping the room in darkness. 

----------------

The silence was unbearable. 

The 4 boys huddled together for warmth, feeling the cold obsidian floor beneath them. Tubbo leaned against Tommy's shoulder, staring ahead into the darkness. He had broken down, sobbing into Tommy's shirt until he couldn't force another tear out. Everything had poured out, his pain, hopelessness, and sadness. Now he just felt empty. 

Tommy pulled Tubbo closer to him, silent tears streaming down his cheeks. He couldn't let Tubbo see them. He had to stay strong. He rubbed his Mellohi disc in his pocket, the comforting vinyl on the sides brushing his finger. It was Tubbo's favorite. Would he ever get to listen to it again?

Wilbur glanced at Fundy, whose head rested in his lap. He was wrapped in Wilbur's coat, tucking himself into it as he tried to get warm. His ears flopped sadly on his head. 

No one spoke. Sadness hung in the air, weighing down every single member as they clung to each other. Wilbur suddenly felt like he couldn't breathe. The words he couldn't say clogged in his throat. 

You're a leader.

Wilbur glanced around at his teammates who were slumped in defeat. 

You lead them. 

"I may not live to see our glory." 

Wilbur's voice shook as the words echoed around the dark room. Fundy looked up at him with confusion. 

"But I will gladly join the fight." 

The silence rang around them. After a moment, Tommy smiled at Wilbur, his voice piping out of the darkness.

"And when our children tell our stories." 

Tubbo stirred, voice shaking as he smiled softly up at Tommy. 

"They'll tell the story of tonight." 

Wilbur clenched Tommy's hand in his. 

"Let's have another round tonight." 

Fundy smiled at Wilbur, resting his paw on his other hand. 

"Let's have another round tonight." 

"Raise a glass to freedom." 

Tubbo's voice cracked as he sat up straighter, taking Tommy's hand. 

"Something they can never take away." 

Wilbur glanced down at Fundy, smiling warmly. 

"No matter what they tell you." 

Tommy's voice pierced through the air, fire filling his eyes. 

"Raise a glass to the four of us." 

The four friends clung to each other, their voices filling the small room. 

"Tommorow there'll be more of us!" 

Wilbur smiled at his friends, clenching their hands tighter.

"Telling the story of tonight." 

The hopeful chorus filled the room, lifting the fog of sadness. 

"Raise a glass to freedom, something they can never take away." 

"No matter what they tell you!" 

Tubbo closed his eyes as hope blossomed in his chest. 

"Let's have another round tonight." 

The four friends sang into the darkness, clinging on to each other. Wilbur smiled as he sang. As long as he had his friends, he had L'Manburg. 

"They'll tell the story of tonight." 

-------------

Wilbur smiled softly at Fundy's sleeping form on his lap. Tommy leaned on his shoulder, supporting a passed out Tubbo, who was smiling softly as he snored. Wilbur scratched Fundy's ears, thinking. 

"Wilbur." 

Tommy's voice broke the silence, glancing up at the taller man. 

"Will we have to surrender?" 

Wilbur looked away, glancing down to the floor. 

"We have no choice Tommy." 

Tommy rubbed his disc anxiously. 

"I know." he said quietly, focused on his disc. "I just-" he choked midsentence, tears beginning to stream down his cheeks. 

"I don't want to lose you guys." 

Wilbur squeezed his hand reassuringly."I need you to promise me something." 

Tommy looked at him quizzically, nodding.

"No matter what happens tomorrow, you'll always be my right hand man." 

Tommy grinned at him, nodding before resting his head on Tubbo's. He suddenly felt a pit form at the bottom of his stomach, filling his heart with dread. 

What if I never see Wilbur again? What if Dream-

He shook himself, his fear changing to determination. 

I won't let anything happen to them. Even if it's the last thing I do. 

Tommy was 16, and he was ready to die for his friends. 

--------------------

Hopefully it won't get him in trouble. Thank you so much for reading, and see ya in the next chapter!