The World Was Wide Enough

"LET'S GOOOOOO!" 

Dream whooped, picking George up and spinning him around. He planted a quick kiss on his lips as he grinned happily. They stared into each other's eyes lovingly. 

"Yeah, we did great guys!" Sapnap wrapped his arms around his two best friends, breaking the moment. George glared at Sapnap, annoyed. 

"They'll definitely surrender now!" Dream grinned, fist-bumping with Punz. 

Eret emerged from their temporary dirt base, grinning when he saw his friends rejoicing. 

"What happened?"

Dream turned to him, laughing. "You know the emergency bombs we told you to plant below their base?" 

"Yes?" Eret's smile faltered. 

"We blew them up! They were so devastated-" Eret eyes widened as they laughed, retelling their story. He suddenly felt like he wanted to throwup. 

"That's great, guys! I need to go real quick-" Eret plastered on a nervous smile, sprinting as fast as he could away from them. He ran up a mountain overlooking L'Manburg. He sank to his knees when he saw the various craters littering the landscape. Guilt rushed through him as he leaned over, gagging. 

Have you ever felt regret, Eret? 

He held his stomach as he doubled over in pain. 

This is what you signed up for. 

He glanced up towards the rising sun, eyes watering. 

Was it worth it, Eret? 

------------------

Dawn painted the sky orange as the teams met on the wooden pathway. Wilbur tipped his hat respectively towards Dream. He stepped forward, bowing his head. 

"We are here to negotiate the terms of surrender." 

Sapnap, George, and Punz whooped while Dream grinned maliciously. He spun his sword, making it glint in the early light. 

"Terms of surrender? I suppose we could execute some of you, throw the rest in prison-" 

"DOYOUWANTTOFIGHTYOUSONOFABITCH-DONTFUCKINGTOUCHTHEM-"

Wilbur struggled to restrain Tommy as he rushed forward in fury, punching the air. 

"YOUBASTARD- I WANT A DUEL!" Tommy gasped out, shoving Wilbur away. 

Dream tilted his head, a smile creeping to his face. "A duel?" 

"Yes, a duel. If I win, L'Manburg gains independence." 

"And if I win, 'L'Manburg' falls." Dream's eyes flashed as he grinned. "And I get one of your discs." 

Tommy gulped, looking down at his Mellohi disc poking out of his disc. Tubbo's favorite. His eyes hardened as he faced Dream. He was doing this for Tubbo. For all of his friends. 

"Agreed." Tommy reached out his hand for Dream to shake. 

"Tommy, no!" Tubbo clutched the back of Tommy's shirt in his hand, tears coming to his eyes. Tommy softly pushed him away, shaking Dream's outstretched hand. They nodded to each other, stepping back to their teams. 

"Are you sure you want to do this Tommy?" Wilbur placed his hand on his shoulder, staring into his eyes. 

"I have to Wilbur." Tommy smiled softly. "I just can't give up after everything we've done." 

"Tommy.." Tubbo hugged him around his middle, sniffling. 

"Don't cry Tubs. I'll win, and L'Manburg will be back before you know it." 

Tubbo glanced up at him, eyes watering. "Really?' 

"Really." Tommy smiled at him, ruffling his hair. Wilbur handed him his bow, and he took it gingerly. He felt his hand clench around it as he looked up at Wilbur. 

"Should I shoot him Will, or should I aim for the skies?" 

Wilbur paused for a moment, thinking, before placing a hand on Tommy's shoulder. 

"Tommy, I want you to do what your heart says you should do."

------------------

Sapnap handed Dream his bow, grinning. "Go get 'em Dream." Dream noticed the slight shake in his voice. George grabbed his hand, staring at him with worried eyes. 

"Are you going to be ok?" 

Dream squeezed his hand, pressing his forehead against his. 

"I'll be back before you know I'm gone." 

He pecked a kiss on his cheek before turning towards the wooden pathway. 

----------------

Tommy and Dream stood back to back, arrows notched in their bows. Wilbur stood between them, trying to read Tommy's face. Tommy rubbed his disc one last time for good luck before Wilbur raised his hand. 

"1" 

Wilbur.

"2" 

Fundy. 

"3" 

Tubbo. 

"4"

His friends.

"5" 

Not just his friends, his family. 

"6"

Freedom.

"7"

Was Dream worried like him? 

"8" 

Did his hands shake like Tommy's? Did his teammates hug him before he went, fear in their eyes?

"9"

Sapnap's knuckles, white as he handed Dream his bow. One last kiss on George's cheek goodbye. Tommy's eyes widened. 

Dream would die for them too. 

"Ten paces, fire!" 

Tommy spun, meeting Dream's green eyes. The green eyes that had been broken with hearbreak like Tubbo's. 

The same green eyes that had been filled with determination like Tommy's. 

The same green eyes that were calm and collected like Wilbur's. 

The same green eyes that looked lovingly at George. 

In slow motion, Tommy saw his arrow sail harmlessly into the grass. He watched as Dream's eyes flashed in realization a moment too late. 

Maybe there is no villain. 

Tommy smiled at him a split second before he felt the arrow implant in his gut. 

-------------------------

Maybe you aren't as different as you think, Tommy. See ya guys next chapter!