Part Nine

15 Years Old
≿━━━━༺☠━━━━
Harley Finley

"Harley. Honey?" My mother's sweet voice rang through the garage I had holed myself in for the last few hours.

Huffing and groaning, I placed the exhaust pipe to my bike to the ground. Fucking thing was rusted on there and my strength was proving not enough to yank it off.

"Back here, Mom!" I yelled back, my words echoing off the empty building walls.

My mother walked in with her hands on her hips. Her bleached blonde hair waving down her backside with each long stretch of her legs.

"Where is your father? He told me he'd get the spare off the car and put the new tire on." She huffed, rolling her bright blue eyes at her husbands negligence for his promises.

Something I had grown used too.

I peered up at her with a shrug, "Hell if I know."

She sighed before kneeling beside me, examining the work I had done by myself today.

"Lee, it's time to junk this bike." She complained sweetly, hating the idea of me following in my fathers footsteps and attempting to ride around town in a old rusted up bike.

"No, I could get it running again." I sighed deeply as I looked over to her with a pout. "Want me to change your tire?"

My mother's eyes softened as she took in my words. Her little girl, at only sixteen years old, already sounding grown and acting as if she were in her twenties.

She marveled in the way I was raised, loving the way her daughter had turned out to be the most kind hearted, thoughtless girl in town. Always looking after others instead of herself first.

"Please, sweetheart. I'd appreciate it." She murmured, grabbing my greasy hand and helping me to a stand.

She ran her soft hands over the still hot metal hood with a deep exhale. "Your father has taken you under his wing for years now but I never thought I'd see the day my little girl was fixing my car."

I half-heartedly smiled. It wasn't something a normal girl was doing in this town. A lot of them worked at the mall to make extra income, but instead, I took my fathers offer to work for him last year. Mostly to try and spend time with the cold hearted bastard but even being a grease monkey wasn't winning him over.

"I told you I'd help at the school whenever." I gave her a glance, watching her bright blue eyes lit up at the thought. "I know you like to decorate the classroom for Christmas. I can help after school Friday."

She pulled my body into a hug, holding me close. "I'd love that."

My heart warmed at her words. At least I had one parent who loved and enjoyed spending time with me.

I inspected her beat up Honda with a small grudge forming in my soul. My mother, loved by all in this town, deserved so much more than this twenty year old hunk of junk.

"Your father is supposed to meet me at home. He better show. We have guests arriving in just a few hours." She fiddled her fingers, watching me closely as I put my all into jacking her car up.