Part Nineteen

Warned You
≿━━━━༺☠━━━━
Harley Finley

"Just, no, Colten. You don't do it like that!" I grumbled and groaned, pushing him to the side with my shoulder.

"Excuse me. I've been working on bikes longer than you've been alive!" He argued back, holding the wrench in the air where I couldn't reach it.

"You're three years older than me!" My voice raised to the same level as his.

"I'm just going to yank it off. You're never going to ride the damn thing again anyways." Colten mumbled, throwing the wrench to the ground and taking the exhaust in his hands.

I pointed a finger in the air and sighed, "Don't hurt yourself."

Colten mimicked me in a high pitched voice, obviously as annoyed as I was at this point.

Hours.

It's been hours of trying to get the same part off of the rusted, beaten down old bike with no show of our hard work that was making Colten sweat with anger.

"That's it. I'm getting the metal cutter." He snapped, pretending to kick the bike before stomping away.

I huffed before swinging a leg over and taking a seat on top of the death trap. My fingers glided over the cold, dusty metal, all the way to the handlebars.

Jim said he hid the secrets in a place he taught me life lessons. If this bike didn't represent that, I had no idea what the hell he meant. How was I supposed to follow the clues of a man I barely knew?

Especially after the shit Drew told me. I wasn't even sure if I could repeat the stories of the 'Forgotten.' What a fucking stupid name.

"You okay? You seem out of it." Colten asked as he returned with the huge metal cutter in his hand.

I looked over to him and sat up straight. "Yeah, just," I sighed deeply. "Drew told me some shit but I don't know if I could believe him."

Colten placed the tool to the ground and pulled up a stool so he was sitting beside me. He didn't pry for information, he just sat there while I kept thinking. It made me feel safe confiding in him.

"He said his father and my mother were apart of a group of people that believed in rituals. My mother left when she met Jim and got pregnant with me but I guess she had to give something up to leave. Drew said he didn't know exactly what it was, but it's still important to this group. I'm guessing that's what Jim hid." I explained, biting my lip at how stupid it sounded out loud.

Colten just sat there with pursed lips. "He said your mother was involved?"

"Yeah. It doesn't make sense to me. She was so sweet and caring. How can she follow 'The Forgotten?'" I groaned and leaned forward. That was the bit of information that had hurt me the most. It was beginning to make sense why Jim wanted me to deal with this instead of Elijah.

It was my family's burden, not his. But even so, I knew I barely had touched the surface on information I had been left out on all my life.

"The Forgotten?" Colt stifled a laugh. "I'm sorry, that is such a corny fucking name. Like who gets a group of people together and says We are the Forgotten! May they never remember us!"