Part Twenty One

Do this; do me
≿━━━━༺☠━━━━
Harley Finley

I found a good hiding place for the paper or journal entry or kill list for all I know! Nothing made sense, not even when I sat on my bed in the dark thinking about it all, over and over and over until my brain felt like mashed potatoes with melted butter, cheese and sour cream.

Maybe some bacon if I'm feeling frisky.

My stomach growled at the thought, reminding me I hadn't ate all day. I didn't even think twice before heading downstairs with my glance stuck to my bare toes with my mind continuing to wander.

It wasn't until I heard an annoyed groan did I look up.

My heart skipped a beat seeing Colten's bare back. His shoulder muscles flexed with each hard rub of his hands in the sink. Then he winced lowly with a mumble of curses towards the soap.

I decided to ignore him as soon as I stepped toward the refrigerator. I pulled out my potatoes, chicken and veggies, neatly setting up my station at the counter beside Colten.

He ignored me just as well as I did him while he kept scrubbing at his hands.

I told myself I wouldn't look, that I didn't want to see what he was washing off so thoroughly but when do I ever listen to myself?

"Oh my god, Colten." I gasped, grabbing his cut up and bruised hands that were covered in specks of dried blood still. He winced quietly when I ran my finger over his open knuckles, taking in the raw skin that was still bleeding lightly.

"I'm fine, Harley." He grumbled, pulling his hands away and drying them off on the towel that sat neatly on the counter.

My lips pursed with annoyance then returned to my ingredients. I could feel his eyes burning into my cheek with each blink of my eye, the urge to snap at him grew.

"So, how was it?" I mused, carefully treading on thin ice with my words. Maybe Drew spilled some detail he hadn't told me.

Especially about these rituals he briefly spoke about. I had come to the conclusion Drew and I were meant to do one. Whatever they were.

Or I was completely wrong and Drew was supposed to kill me.

I have no idea.

Colten rolled his eyes and leaned his back to the counter. His palms gripped the edge until his fingers turned white.

"Eventful." He grit his teeth. "Drew had quit the mouth on him. Told me exactly how he marked that pretty neck of yours."

I held my breath. When he turned towards me, placing his hands to my hip and curling into the bone.

"He won't be touching you again." He murmured, clanking his teeth together with each word as his chin rested on my shoulder.

"I would have handled it. You didn't have to go over there." I tried to shimmy from his grasp but he had me stuck between his chest and the counter.

"Keep handling it. I enjoyed knocking some sense into the two men that think they could touch you. Are we going to try for a third?" He humored me in a mocking tone.

"You and Elijah can go fuck off together. Only reason I'm still here is to figure this out then I'm gone. You two will never have to deal with my shit again. I'm sure you'll be relieved when that day comes." I snapped, cutting the carrot in my hands harshly, slamming the blade down with a thump with each movement.

Colten rubbed his nose against my still bruised neck and inhaled softly. "Probably. But then I'd have to go back to having no reason to beat the shit out of people. I'd miss that."