Part Fifteen

Did someone ask for another mid week, 3 chapter update? :o

***

Bro, back off.
≿━━━━༺☠━━━━
Colten Gunn

I paced the small cell , back and forth with long, swift strides. My mind was running a mile a minute, not able to keep up with the siren that was able to lure the beast within me.

Harley was being naive and young minded, barely thinking anything through for more than a few steps at a time. Not to mention stubborn and fucking stupid.

I get it though.

I'm the same.

That's how I know she's going to hurt herself.

"Colten. You've somehow managed to get out of trouble." Sheriff Jones grumbled. "Again."

I gave him a smirk as he reluctantly opened the cage door and unlocked the cuffs around my wrists. He let me pass through after handing me my wallet and keys.

My feet moved fast in the hallways, squeaking along the flooring until I saw Elijah in the front office, not even waiting for the sheriff to escort me out. He rubbed his eyes tiredly and looked at me with a glare.

"Fucking hell, Colten. It's one in the morning and Chloe is on my ass about everything. What the hell did you get arrested for this time?" Elijah snapped, half of his words not even registering in my mind.

"Where's Harley?" I searched the empty waiting room with a pit in my stomach.

"She should be at her apartment by now." Elijah yawned.

"No," I shook my head, "No, she never left. She lied. Fuck. Your sister is trying to be Junie B fucking Jones and solve your fathers fucking letter."

Elijah quickly caught up to my fast stride to his car and jerked on my shirt. "What do you mean she never left?"

I shook out of his grasp and pulled on his truck door handle with a groan. "She showed up at Jeremy's bar and got a key from Ian. They were all over each other, man. I fucking lost it when he tried to act like they were cool, like he didn't expect sex from whatever the fuck this stupid key is for."

I was fuming. Breaking a few of his fingers didn't help. Had it not been for Elijah driving I'd probably be punching something right now.

Elijah gripped the steering wheel tight turning his knuckles white. "Colten, you need to chill. Ian and Harley had this weird, friend relationship back in the day. The key was probably just for the cabin they used to smoke pot in when she'd run away for a few days."

I relaxed in my seat only slightly. "He still fucking deserved getting beat up."

Elijah sighed. "Anything else I should know about? What else has she been getting herself into?"

"I don't know, man. Your sister is driving me fucking crazy." I admitted.

Elijah laughed with a shake of his head. His whole body relaxing into the car seat as he started to drive.

"Well, that's Harley for you. I tried to warn you that night we were all together. I mean, fuck, Hudson tried to tell you. She's my sister but she's a complicated over thinker that does things her way. No one could tell her what to do. Not even the guy she's fucking even if that's you. Do you know how hard that was for Drew back in the day? The wanna be cop high schooler would have to follow her everywhere to keep her out of trouble. I don't know how she stayed out of jail after leaving."

"She's going to get herself killed." I admitted with a ping in my heart at the thought.

Hearing her say that she was beginning to like me more than just a fuck was starting to mess with my head. Sure, she was sexy and alluring but there was more to it than that. I couldn't stay away. But to say I had feelings for her too?

I wasn't there yet.

I saw her more like a damsel in distress needing the help of a strong willed man.

And we had so much more in common than she knows. That likeness was like a mirror, pulling at my reflection, ready to swallow me whole until I gave in to the inevitable future of failure, just like it had before.

"I'm telling you this as your best friend, not as her brother. You have to step back, Colten. She made up her mind to do this alone and that's not going to change. Not until she wants it to." Elijah gave me a stern look.

"You're right." I slumped into the car seat and looked out the window, wondering what the hell she was getting herself into now.

"She knows how to mess with people's heads. She learned it from my father. It's one of the few reasons why he thought she'd be able to deal with this. He told me himself. And if my father wanted my help or yours, he would have asked for it but he didn't. He wanted Harleys." Elijah rambled on.

"She shouldn't have to do it alone." I argued back.

He shrugged. "She wants to. Who are we to get in the way?"

"She told me she didn't trust me. How am I not trustworthy? I proved my trust to your father, I just have to do the same with her."

"Go for it. I wish you luck in the battle between two of the most stubborn, driven people I know. Can't wait to see what happens." Elijah teased with a smirk.

The car ride was quiet for a while. All I could think about was Harley and her thick blonde hair covering her face every time she shook her head to me. She was so defiant it drove me crazy.

"It sounds like you really care for her. I appreciate it, you know. My sister hasn't had many faithful, consistent people in her life. I'm sure she just doesn't know how to deal with it." Elijah spoke randomly.

"Your family is mine, man. You know that."

Elijah gave me a sincere smile. "She means a lot to me. I gave her the space she wanted to grow but now that she's back, I wish she'd stay."

"She may."

"Yeah but I don't think it'll be for me." He continued to tease, still smiling. "She would have been long gone the day she came if she hadn't crossed your path."

"She did cum that day." I joked, only earning a scowl to his face. "What, man? You said it!"

"Fuck! You're a disgusting bastard, you know that?" Elijah shook his head with a gag.

My smile faded when I looked out the window into the night sky.

Where the fuck are you, Harley?