Prologue

A/N: This started as crack I was writing because I was bored and now... it has taken a life of its own and just kinda ran away while holding my lungs like some insane goblin child. So. Yeah. Welcome to the jungle.

~~~

James Potter couldn't breathe.

Looking up at him, from the arms of the nurse that had just been by his wife's side, was an infant with big brown eyes.

A baby boy.

His baby boy.

Sirius and Remus were there instantly to steady him and he looked at the nurse as if she was able to work miracles. "This-"

"Congratulations, Mr. Potter, you're a father... Have you picked out a name?"

It itched his brain that the nurse hadn't asked him when Lily was with him, as she'd had as much a hand in picking names... but he was too overwhelmed to start that discussion with the nurse, instead just smiling dopily. "Charles. Charles James Potter."

It was only by a bare inch (and respect to his parents) that Lily had accepted the tradition of naming their first-born after the parent of their gender.

"Lily, she-... she's okay?" Regaining his composure slightly, James reached out for the child, momentarily losing his train of thought at having this world-changing being in his arms. "... can I see my wife now?"

He could feel the smiles on Sirius and Remus' faces, knowing he'd never live down having to be removed from Lily's room during labor because of the panic he'd been in, but it didn't even matter right now. He just wanted to see his wife and share this moment with her.

"Mr. Potter..."

It was the tone of voice more than anything that had him looking up with something like apprehension building in his gut.

The nurse smiled, but it was strained. "Your second child is having complications and it would be in everyone's best interest for you to stay out here."

"My sec-" His brain whirled.

Twins. He had twins. Lily was still in that white room while he was waiting out here, unknowing of anything that she was going through and-

He felt Remus take the child from his arms and then he proceeded to faint.

Helena Ivy Potter was born almost 12 hours after her fraternal twin, Charles James Potter, and from there she only proved that she was vastly different from her twin. She cried substantially less, slept deeper, and seemed content to just watch everything with the big green eyes she'd inherited from her mother.

After first making sure that the little girl was in healthy condition, the two young parents dismissed it- sometimes babies, according to one of the doctors at St. Mungos, cried less because they were less sensitive.

And given they were trying to hide away and keep themselves sane during a time of war, Lily and James were slightly relieved that they could trust Helena to be somewhat independent. It wasn't like they didn't love her just as much as her brother- quite the opposite really- but with the stress of the times, it was nice to get a bit more sleep.

Then, Albus Dumbledore's warnings came to fruition.

Lily was checking on the twins, as Helena had started crying and neither of them knew why, James downstairs making tea for them- when the wards fell with a sickening snapping sound that echoed through the night.