Prologue

One month earlier.

Bella Gabrielle

I have always found myself in a string of mishap, just like this one. It's quarter to nine, and I am stuck in my buildings elevator.

"Oh no no...no .... Please just work. Please." I mumble to myself while frantically pressing the help button and praying to GOD that this piece of old metal gets its butt moving.

"Oh dear calm down. Take a deep breath. It's all going to be okay." The woman next to me in the elevator says. She looks to be in her late-fifties but man she looks pretty. She got her dark brown hair up in a bun and a soft pink scarf around her neck which I must add goes beautifully so well with her white knee length dress.

"Oh, I am sorry...ah.." I pause trying to remember her name, but I am pretty sure I have never seen her in this building.

"Mallory" She hold out her hand for me to shake.

"Bella." I reply as I take her hand and shake it politely.

"I am sorry, Ms.Mallory. I didn't mean to be rude. It's just that I am getting late for work, and I was late yesterday. And if I am late again today, I have to do the hell shift for a month" I ramble off to her without even taking a break.

"Hell Shift?" she asks with one raised eyebrow. A silent gesture showing me she is curious to know more about the hell shift but won't push me, if I don't want to share.

"Oh it's a weekend night shift. They are the worst one in our professions. Everyone is out drinking or partying and it gets super hectic. We get random prank calls and stupid dare game I say. I mean don't get me wrong, I love my job as a paramedic but can't a girl get a weekend to herself." I explain the last part while using dramatic hand gestures, just so she doesn't miss my point.

I have always dreamed of becoming a paramedic and help people in need. And I still remember my first day as a paramedic. The rush, the anxiety, the need to save a life or help someone in need. It always makes me happy that I did something good, something good for someone else. It always puts a smile on my face.

To me all this small things matter more than the big things, because that's who I am and I won't change a thing about it.

"Oh dear, she can. I totally understand. There is nothing wrong in that. I mean I am a tarot card reader and sometimes even I want to go to parties and not read anyone's future or past. I mean give a lady some space. She needs to cool off and party too." She says while almost imitating my dramatic hand gestures and winking at me - as she is teasing me.

We stare at each other and then we both dissolve into giggles.

"You are very sweet Ms.Mallory." I love people who care about others and about others values. And something about her relaxed me.

"Oh dear I was just cheering you up. And don't worry so much about those hell shifts. One day one of those could be a life changer for you, you never know."

"Sure .... ." I say uncertainty.

"You know what; it looks like we are stuck here for a while. So why don't you let me read you, your tarot card." She says while getting a set of tarot card from her purse followed by a dark green piece of cloth. "Hope you don't mind it dear." She carefully asked as she glanced at me.

"Oh really!! that's very sweet of you Ms.Mallory. And sure I don't mind at all but I hope it's not a trouble." I have never tired this tarot card thing before but I would love to give it a go. Plus she offered and we are stuck in this elevator for god know how long. I press the help button a few more times before I turn around and look at her.

"No trouble dear." She assures me while moving to the corner of the elevator and spreading the green cloth down. She sits down on it and then fans out the tarot cards in a fancy rainbow like arch and looks up at me.

"Dear, come sit opposite to me and pick three cards." She pats the side opposite to her inviting me to come sit there.

I do as she says and stare at the tarot card that are fanned out in front of me. They are all facing downwards and I have no clue what I am doing. I look back at her "Three card..uh..?"

"Yes, three card, each one of them has different meaning"

I nod my head in understanding as I pull three random cards from the set and hand them over to her.

She places each one of them in front of her slowly, still facing downwards. Then she looks up at me and points at the card that I picked first . "This one shows your past, the second one your present and this last one shows your future."

I shake my head in understanding again and remain quiet. Letting the pro take control of the moment.

She then flips my past card and place it back on the cloth but the card is reversed. The word 's on the card are upside down.

"Your past card is 'The Wheel of Fortune' but the reversed side which means you have an accident prone past. One filled with disappointment, bad lucks and many obstacles." her gaze moves up to me while explaining the cards meaning.

"It's sad, but you are 100% accurate." I sigh in defeat. As there was no hiding the series of unfortunate events in my past. I mean I was known for having some really bad timing and my luck was not that great most of the times. Nothing new there people, let's move on.

"And what does my present card show?" I questioned her trying to move from the past.

She flips the second card slowly this time."The Death card" She says while looking more thrilled than me.

"And what does it means ..... am going to die standing upright!!??" I ask sarcastically just to hide my fear from what was coming my way. I just hoped nothing bad.

"No silly, It means change I going to happen in your current circumstances which includes your work, love live and finances. A good change but a very drastic change. One which could be difficult to accept. But it would be for best."

"..uh.. so my bad luck is going to change?" That's new I thought .

"Yes, dear, the time has come to stop all the unfavorable past events and to welcome a new start." She smiles at me and waits eagerly for my reaction to the amazing news she just announced.

"Wow lucky me." I pretend to be ecstatic but in reality I still feel like my life is stuck at my past card - the wheel of fortune. After all, we were stuck in this elevator for the last 5 minutes aren't we.

She notices my fake enthusiasm and pats my hands "It will all change soon dear, just wait for it."

I nod my head while acknowledging her words with sincerity this time. May be my life will change for the best, you never know.

"Okay, so what about my future card. What's waiting there for me?" This time I don't fake the excitement as I genuinely want to know what will happen next.

She flips the last card up and in peppy voice she says "The Ace of Wands - upright." Then give me a wicked smile and moves her eyebrow up and down in a way which only means 'Embrace yourself girl, the game have just begun.'

"What does it mean Ms.Mallory?" I ask impatiently.

But before she could answer me. The elevator starts moving downwards and comes to an abrupt halt. After a moment of hesitancy I get up on my feet and rush to press the button on the side panel for the doors to open. And with a loud ding sound the door slides open revealing the my apartment buildings lobby.

"Okay, looks like my death card has finally decided to get into action" I say with a huge smile while turning back to look at Ms.Mallory.

"Yes, it looks like that. Now hurry up and go to work."

"Oh yeah yeah! Thanks Ms.Mallory. See you again." I say while rushing out the elevator and running towards my bus stop, completing forgetting about my future card and what it means.