7: The Death Card

Bella

"It means change in your circumstances which include your work, love live and finances. A good but a very drastic change. One which could be difficult to accept."

I remember Ms. Mallory's word from yesterday as I watch ciro's car leave. 

The sun was starting to rise, and the alley was starting to light up slowly. There was a soft glow of orange and yellow light peeking through the sky. I look up at the sky and send a silent pray. Hoping that the death card meant something good as Ms.Mallory said and not bad.

I know this is crazy. I just meet him. But for some reason he felt someone special. Someone I have been waiting for.

I rushed back in the diner and meet Ethan in the front. I apologize to him for been late but he assures me it was all okay. And thankfully we had no emergency call. But we needed to rush out because we were way past your break time.

Ethan got my burger to go and was sweet enough to volunteer to drive while I ate. He enjoys driving more than I do and I think it was for better. Because with my luck and thoughts running all over the place. I was more likely to cause accident than save one.

Back at the van. We updated the other teams as we headed back to our designated area assigned to us. While Ethan started making night rounds. Which mainly consisted of circling around the area assigned to us. I got busy looking over her shift notes and ticking off areas we covered.

Once I was done going through the notes and sorted them out. I file them back in the folder and pull my phone out to check if Lucca called. But there was nothing. No text. No call.

I feel a tinge of sadness that I haven't heard back from him. But then I tell myself it's been just an hour since we parted ways. He must be getting treated. I was thinking about his injuries and how bad they were when Ethan yells out my name.

I turn my face to the side and look at him. A bit surprised as to why he is yelling. But he just glances at me and lift his chin up, as if he is waiting for a reply. A reply for what. Wait did he ask me something.

" ..ah sorry Ethan what did you say???"I quickly turn in the seat and look straight at Ethan.

He keeps looking straight at the road,"I asked, if everything is okay?? You seemed a bit off, since we left the diner. Everything is fine, right??" he then glances at me and then points at the take-out-bag sitting on my lap "And you still haven't even touched your favourite burger???"

"Oh, yeah I am fine, just a bit exhausted." I reply while faking a yawn.

I know I should tell Ethan about what just happened back there. But I know Ethan and know exactly how he will react to Lucca's news. He will drag me straight to the nearest police station. And help me file an official complaint. And then lecture me to stay away from him or anyone from Lucca's circle. You see Ethan Always wanted to be a cop but somehow he ended up becoming a paramedic. But that didn't stop him from playing the good cop role. He always follows rules and makes sure that people around him too.Which is something I admire about him. But in this case my heart tells me to trust Lucca. To wait for his call and respect his request of telling no one about our meet.

The cheese burger smell was killing me. So eagerly open the take-out-bag. Pull out the burger, leaving the fires in. Then I offer the fries to Ethan " Want some??"

"Nah, I am good" he shakes his head keeping his eyes on the road. "If you want, you can rest for a bit. We got nothing going on now." he adds while looking at me with a soft smile. Such a gentlemen.

I nod in agreement and continue munching on my cheeseburger. With my other free hand, I check my phone once again. Still nothing. I put the phone in my uniform pants pocket and go back to eating.

Once I am done eating. I finish off the remaining milkshake and sigh in contentment.

It's been almost two and half-hours since we left the diner. Ethan turn left in the direction of our assigned parking spot and turn the engine off. "It looks like we got no life action coming our way. You should rest for sometime."

"I hope it remains this way." I say with a real yawn this time and tilt my seat a bit back making myself comfortable. Once I am done adjusting it. I rest my head and close my eyes. But only to open them back and check my phone again. The screen lights up and there is no miss call or text message.

Lucca why aren't you calling me?? I hope keep your promise and let a doctor check you. I silently pray as I close my eyes. The moment I do that, I am greeted with his beautiful face right in front of me. His perfect lips, smiling up at me causing my heart to melt. I feel my cheeks getting warmer, and I was pretty sure I was blushing like a teenage girl.