15

ACHILLES' HEEL
— 15. Always and Forever

  In Mystic Falls, in the tunnels connected to the Lockwood Cellar, Alaric was making his way through with Elena while Damon was forced to stay put since there was a barrier that seemed to not let any vampires through

Elena glanced around, finding numerous carvings in the stone walls. "What is all this?" She asked, her eyes widening at the sight.

"Well, as far as I can tell, it's a story," Alaric informed her as he shined his flashlight on a certain part of the wall, "In simple archaeological terms, it's a really, really old story. That right there is a moon cycle. A man. A wolf."

"A werewolf," Elena replied, her eyes widening in realization.

"Yea. It's the Lockwood Diaries, pictionary style," Damon replied in a sarcastic tone.

"I don't understand," Elena spoke up, shaking her head slightly, "I thought the Lockwoods' came here with the Original Founders in the 1860s."

  "I don't know. Maybe the Lockwoods did, but according to this wall, these werewolves have been here a lot longer than that," Alaric replied, shining his flashlight on the wall.

"How long?" Elena asked, a concerned look on her face.

"Long," Damon replied in a calm tone, "It gets better. Show her, Ric."

"Names. They're not native. They're written in Runic, a Viking script," He informed her, earning a puzzled look on his face.

"Vikings?" Elena asked in confusion as she watched Alaric walked closer to the wall.

"This name here," He told her, pointing to a certain name, "I translated it and it reads Niklaus."

Hearing the man's words, Elena's widened in realization. "Klaus."

"And Annikah..." He trailed off, causing Elena to feel uneasy, "And Elijah. And Rebekah."

1001 AD

   A thousand years prior, in the same cave, Rebekah stood near the stone wall, carving her name into it with a knife.

"Rebekah, let me have at it," Klaus spoke up in an annoyed tone as he stood near Annikah closeby, holding a torch in his hand.

"Quiet, Niklaus," Rebekah complained as she continued to carve into the stone,"I am to have more concentration if I am not to slice off a finger."

"Your father will not like you handling the blade," Annikah pointed out, an uneasy look on her face.

  Rebekah sighed, turning to shoot Annikah and Klaus an annoyed look. "If I want to wield a blade, I shall wield a blade! Father need not know," She explained before turning back to the stone wall, "And you're the last person who should tell me I cannot wield a blade, Annikah. Not when you spend most of your day sword fighting in the yard with Kol and Nik."