Chapter 30: Doppelgänger

George's POV

"Ready!" We cheered simultaneously. It's now or never.

Luckily, there were no guards on patrol at the back door, making our job easier. Sapnap ambled towards the door, fishing out that trusty paper clip of his. Does Dream and A6d know that we trespassed their house? If they don't, it's better to be left forgotten.

The door opened with a faint clicking sound. Slowly pushing the door open, we tiptoed inside, submerging into the thick and uptight atmosphere. Closing the door behind us, we ventured deeper into this hellhole, unsure of what's waiting to pounce at us.

"Remember the plan?" A6d looked back at us, voice barely audible.

We nodded. He gestured at Tommy and Tubbo. "Main comms are that way." He pointed at a narrow hallway, the lights flickering on and off. It's like this place is run-down, abandoned for some time or it's just basically oozing with creepiness.

"Got it." Tommy muttered under his breath.

"We won't let you all down." Tubbo said, giving us a quick salute before leaving. Heading towards the hallway, they were fast and stealthy, featherlight on their feet.

I inhaled sharply as I watched them disappear out of our sight. I couldn't help but worry. Imagine how many guards are warding the main security and communications room. It's not like I doubt Tommy and Tubbo's ability; they are a very dynamic duo after all. There's just too many what if's flooding my mind at the moment.

"Wait for it..." Sapnap whispered as we all intenly listened, the anxiety rising to the sound of silence as each second passed.

"Wait for it..."

Silence.

"It should happen any moment now..." A6d said, starting to bite his nails in trepidation.

Still, the building was tranquil. We all began to grow anxious.

"They might be in danger--" I uttered but was cut off by a loud blazing sound that rang throughout the building, echoing against the hard metal walls.

"Get moving you dweebs, the reactor is in critical condition!" An ever familiar voice busted out of the speakers, faint sound of giggling in the background.

"It's Tommy." I whispered, the frown I had crumbling down, replaced with a joyous smile.

"They did it." Bad added, his smile adding more joy to mine.

"Is that the signal?" Skeppy asked.

"Yes, it is. All of the guards are heading towards the crisis, they will be preoccupied for a while." A6d replied, motioning at a hallway straight ahead. "You guys head there, I'll start planting the bombs."

Sapnap placed a hand on his shoulder, eyes filled with genuine concern. "You'll be fine by yourself?"

A6d smiled weakly, nodding. "I'll be fine. Even if I wasn't, I've got nothing to live for anyways." Then he turned to leave, hands shoved into his pockets, head hanging down low.

Sapnap tried to object, opening his mouth but the words wouldn't come out. His hand was left hanging in the air, eyes helplessly watching A6d go until the younger disappeared his line of sight.

I embraced him from behind, burying my face into his shoulder. It's been a long time since I last hugged him, a different feeling of vehemence and ardor. Unlike Dream and Bad's, he gives you that 'don't worry, everything will be fine after you and I will incinerate the bodies' kind of comfort.

"He'll be fine." I said.

He sighed. "I hope."

The five of us headed towards the hallway up ahead, keeping an eye out for any sign of danger. At the end of the hallway was a door with a sign.