Chapter 2: The Sokovia Accords

Once I got as many people I could out of the building, the rest of the Avengers and I went to the quinjet to head back to headquarters. The whole ride was silent, knowing we didn't really finish the mission. Yes, Rumlow is now officially gone, but we needed to get information out of him. Plus the whole building was not a bonus.

Once we landed, I went straight to my room, wanting to take a shower. I walk into my room, and I see Pietro asleep laying in bed. I shake my head, because it is way too late in the day to be asleep. I take one of the pillows on the bed, and throw it at Pietro.

"5 more minutes," he mumbles, and I laugh.

"It's 2 in the afternoon. Were you asleep the whole time I was gone?" I ask.

"Maybe," he says, and I laugh. I walk over next to his side of the bed, and grab his arm. "Alright I'm up, I'm up," he says. He gets up out of bed, and finally takes a good look at me. "What happened to your face?"

"Oh, I got punched in the face," I say. "I'm fine though." He grabs my hand, and leads me to the bathroom. He gets a wet cloth, and I sit up on the sink.

"So, how did the mission go?" he asks, while wiping off the blood that was on my face.

"It didn't really go as planned," I say, and he gives me a confused look. "Well, Steve had Rumlow, but then he was distracting Steve. Then Rumlow pressed a button, making a bomb explode that was on it. Luckily Wanda was there, and she was able to contain it."

"She tried to move it up to the sky, but she lost control, and Rumlow exploded in a building. I think 11 was dead when we left," I continued.

"How is Wanda dealing with this?" Pietro asks.

"Not that well and the news isn't loving her either. I would talk to her if I were you," I say. "I'm going to take a shower, I smell like crap."

"Have fun, I'm going to go talk to Wanda," Pietro says. He kisses me on the cheek, then speeds out of the room. I hop in the shower, quickly rinsing off all of the blood, ash and the smell of smoke off of me.

Once I was done, I put on a pair of shorts with a sweatshirt. I started brushing my hair when I heard a knock on the door. I open the door to see Steve standing there. "Hey, what's up?"

"The Secretary of State wants to talk to all of us," he says.

"Okay, I'll be there in a second," I say. Steve was about to walk away when I grabbed his arm. "Are you okay? Rumlow got you distracted because of Bucky. Any updates on that?"

"We may have a lead on where he might be. I'm fine though, I promise," he says. He walks away, and I finish getting ready, trying to get myself a little presentable. Once I was ready, I walked to the conference room.

I sit at the head of the table, across from the presentation. Next to me was Pietro and on the other side of me was Steve. Tony wasn't sitting at the table, but was toward the side, and I can tell something is on his mind.

"What is this about?" I whisper to Pietro, to which he responds with a shrug.

Secretary Ross goes on about having a heart attack, saying it gave him perspective. "The world owes the Avengers an unpayable debt. You have fought for us, protected us, risked your lives, but while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some who would prefer the word 'vigilantes'."

"And what word would you use, Mr. Secretary?" Natasha asks.

"How about dangerous? What would you call a group of US-based enhanced individuals, who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who frankly seem unconcerned about what we leave behind," Ross replies.

"New York," Ross says, showing us what happened in 2012. The chitauri, people screaming, and the Hulk crashing the place. "DC," he says, and shows us the planes, crashing into the water. "Sokovia," he says, and shows us the flying city, and buildings falling. I could see how hurt Pietro and Wanda were, watching their hometown become destroyed.

"Lagos," he says, showing us the burning building, and people running out hurt. There was even a clip of a child on the ground. I see Wanda turn around, obviously feeling guilty about that event.

"Ok, that's enough," Steve says.

"With all do respect, sir, I don't understand why you are showing us those clips when we already know what happened there. So could you just get to the point of this presentation," I say, getting sick of this already.

"For the past four years, you've operated with unlimited power and no supervision. That's an arrangement the government of the world can no longer tolerate. But I think we have a solution," he says.

He gets out a huge file, pushing it towards Wanda and then it starts being passed around. "The Sokovia Accords. Approved by 117 countries. It states that the Avengers shall no longer be a private organization. Instead they'll operate under the supervision of a United Nations panel, only when and if that panel deems it necessary."

"The Avengers were formed to make the world a safer place. I feel we've done that," Steve says.

"Tell me Captain, do you know where Thor and Banner are right now?" Ross asks.

"Why is that relevant?" I mumble under my breath. We lost Banner a while ago, when he wanted to do an experiment, and he never came back. I assume Thor is on Asgard, but I'm not positive.

"If I misplaced a couple of 30 megaton nukes you can bet there'd be consequences. Compromise. Reassurance. That's how the world works. Believe me, this is the middle ground," Ross says.

"So, there are contingencies," Rhodey asks.

"Three days from now, the UN meets in Vienna to ratify the Accords. Talk it over," Ross says, and starts walking away.

"And if we come to a decision you don't like?" Natasha asks.

"Then you retire," Ross says, and leaves the room, leaving a tension between everyone. I was the first one to get up, and walk to the kitchen, wanting to get a drink.