Chapter 3: Arguing

I pour some water in a cup, and go to the main room. I sit against the wall, thinking about everything that just happened. Soon enough, everyone walked in, taking a seat in the main room. Pietro sat next to me, and I put my head on his shoulder, trying to decide on what to do.

The room was silent for a while, but then Rhodey and Sam started arguing. "Secretary Ross has a Congressional Medal of Honor which is one more than you have," Rhodey says.

"So let's say we agree to this thing. How long is it gonna be before they LoJack us like a cunch of common criminals?" Sam says.

"117 countries want to sign this. 117, Sam and you're just like, 'no that's cool. We got it'," Rhodey says, imitating Sam.

"How long are you going to play both sides?" Sam asks.

"Both of you shut up," I say, which made everyone look at me. "We are not getting anywhere by arguing."

"I have an equation," Vision says.

"Oh, this will clear it up," Sam says. I give Sam a glare, which he puts his hands up in defense.

"In the eight years since Mr. Stark announced himself as Iron Man the number of known enhanced persons has grown exponentially. During the same period, the number of potentially world-ending events has risen at a commensurate rate," Vision says.

"Are you saying it's our fault?" Steve says, who was reading over the Sokovia Accords.

"I'm saying there may be a causality. Our very strength invites challenge. Challenge incites conflict, and conflict breeds catastrophe. Oversight is not an idea that can be dismissed out of hand," Vision says.

"Boom," Rhodey says, which makes me roll my eyes. How does the most mature person here act so childish.

"Tony. You are being uncharacteristically non-hyperverbal," Natasha says.

"It's because he's already made up his mind," Steve says.

"Boy you know me so well," Tony says. Tony gets up out of his slump position and heads to the kitchen. "Actually, I'm nursing an electromagnetic headache. That's what's going on Cap. It's just pain. It's discomfort."

Then, Tony being Tony has to complain about the maintenance of the kitchen. Tony takes out a tablet, and shows a hologram of a boy. "Oh, that's Charles Spencer by the way. He's a great kid. Computer engineering degree, 3.6 GPA. Had a floor level gig at Intel planned for the fall."

"But first, he wanted to put a few miles on his soul, before he parked it behind a desk. See the world. Maybe be of service. Charlie didn't want to go to Vegas or Fort Lauderdale, which is what I would do. He didn't go to Paris or Amsterdam, which sounds fun," Tony continued.

"He decided to spend his summer building sustainable housing for the poor. Guess where, Sokovia," Tony says, and my heart drops, already knowing where he was going with this. "He wanted to make a difference on him, I suppose. We won't know because we building on him while we were kicking ass."

I look around at everyone's faces, and I can tell no one wants that to happen, but we can't control all of those things, but we should be able to. "There's no decision-making process here. We need to be put in check. Whatever form that takes, I'm game. If we can't accept limitations, if we're boundary-less, we are no better than the bad guys," Tony finished.

"Tony, someone dies on your watch, you don't give up," Steve says.

"Who said we're giving up?" Tony says.

"We are if we're not taking responsibility for our actions. This document just shifts the blame," Steve says.

"I'm sorry, Steve. That is dangerously arrogant. This is the United Nations we're talking about. It's not the World Security Council, it's not shield, it's not hydra," Rhodey says.

"No, but it's run by people with agendas, and agendas change," Steve says.

"That's good. That's why I'm here. When I realized what my weapons were capable of in the wrong hands, I shut it down and stopped manufacturing," Tony says, and I could feel Pietro tense up.

"Tony, you chose to do that. If we sign this, we surrender our right to choose," Steve says. "What if this panel sends us somewhere we don't think we should go? What if there is somewhere we need to go and they don't let up? We may not be perfect, but the safest hands are still our own."

"See, if we don't do this now, it's gonna be done to us later. That's the fact and that won't be pretty," Tony says.

"You're saying they'll come for me," Wanda says.

"No they won't, we will make sure of that," Pietro says immediately.

"We would protect you," Vision adds.

"Maybe Tony's right," Natasha says. "If we have one hand on the wheel, we can still steer. If we take it off..."

"Aren't you the same woman who told the government to kiss her ass a few years ago?" Sam interrupted her.

"I'm just reading the terrain. We have made some very public mistakes," Natasha says.

"In everyone else's point of view, we are making more destruction, causing more death than who we are fighting. We are here to protect the people. How can we do that when they don't trust us? Once they trust us again, we will be able to have more control," I say.

"We need to win her trust back," Natasha says.

"I'm sorry, did I miss hearing you or did both Romanoffs just agree with me?" Tony says.

"Don't get used to it," I say.

"Oh, I want to take it back now," Natasha says.

"No, you can't retract it. Thank you," Tony says. Steve's phone rang, and then he excused himself. I got up from where I was and followed Steve. He was at the bottom of a stairwell, his hands to his face.

He showed me the text, telling me Peggy was gone. This could have been the worst timing. I pull Steve into my arms, telling him everything is okay.