Chapter 18| Wounds (زخم)

Sarrinah blinked incredulously, her senses realising the words being said

Sarrinah blinked incredulously, her senses realising the words being said. She cleared her throat in embarrassment and looked away, not knowing what and how to answer him. Hakan became concious of her uncomfort by her usual nervous acts, she used to dig her fingers in palms and kept rubbing them until the anxiety loosen up. He tried to ease the moment.

"Relax.. What I mean is.. take your time and it's completely alright if ... you don't want to accept it either .."

It was difficult for him to address the possibility of last sentence.

"I will respect whatever your decision is"

He stood up, giving her a comfortable space.

She didn't respond any of it. He made an attempt to look into her eyes again when he found her attention towards the closed window.

"Raina? You okay?" His strong yet soft call to pull her out of deep dark holes.

She turned to look at him and their eyes met for a second but she turned away. He couldn't understand her confused state.

"Can you... open the window?"

He nodded cluessly and walked towards the windowsill to open it. A strong blow of summer air ventilated the room.

In that moment, the view in the sky got his attention. He began to stare at crescent, visible yet incomplete. Shining yet dim. The sprinkle of little stars around complimented its presence but somehow the moon seemed off tonight.

"A woman has two important men in her life before marriage"

She whispered almost to gain back his attention back. He didn't turn but was attentive at her words.

"Father and Brother(s). The earliest example of her upcoming life.. "

She paused and he felt that her voice quivered.

"I'm five years younger than Adeel, may be seven, but he was never a typical strict elder brother for me. He was always a good friend, a warm comfort, crime partner and after them, a protective brother for me. If I could still place my little hope in an emotion called love, it's because of my brother and mother. But both had to play an extra role in my life for me..."