Chapter 20| Us (ہم)

I believe happiness is a relative term

I believe happiness is a relative term. Do you remember relative motion in physics? A person only feels motion relative to the moving thing in the frame of refrence. It means you are actually not moving but you feel like moving in your surrounded frame. Similarly, in the frame of happiness, we feel serenity, eternity and sometimes too excited to feel anything but as the frame of happiness ends, we are just the same passengers at different stations of happiness,, waiting for the final train. People say fairytales have happy endings, but someone never told us endings are never happy...

__________________

The evening begun with dazzling lights and faint aroma of lilies, roses and petunas in the air. The autumn had the fragrance of flowers because it was the beginning of new spring for Adeel and Affifa. Ceremony was held private in a wide garden of mansion. It was a Henna combined with Rukhsati rituals. The canopy was done with colourful strips of multi colored flowers beaded with golden fairy lights. The silk clothes hanged across the sides to shade golden walls while scented candles were lit in bronze candle stands.

It was elegantly done, exactly according to the taste of bride and groom, and the one who handled it, proved his perfection. Guests had started arriving when the voilet streaks in the sky turned to dusk. The melody of chuckles, bangles and ornaments were there across the hustle of people.

"Betay! Zara opr ja kay daikho woh teeno tyaar hui hain kay nahi aur mein phir kuch bhool gyi... Shizaaa...."

Affifa's mother, Lubna had a pretty cute habit of forgetting and remembering things at wrong times.

"Ek efa stage check kar lo" Affifa's father told the worker.

"Woh jee Adeel sahab ne kuch dayr pehle hi khud check kar liya tha!" Then, another call.

"Ammi?" Shiza called her mother. The great grand naani of our house was also there.

"kiyoun shor kar rahi hai Shiza!" Naani was busy managing the baskets of sweets with the help of workers.

"Adeel kay paas gyi hain kay nahi? Larkiyo ki trha tyaar ho raha hai? itni der kar di hai. sab agye hain bahar!"

"Oho bhayi pehli shaadi hai uski. Tyaar bhi na ho!" Naani and her saas.

"Astaghfirullah ammi!" Lubna entered the kitchen. Shiza chuckled.

"Jao apni poharr larkiyo ko daikho. Mehndi kay thaal tyaar kiye hain ya khud hi miss world bnni phir rahi hain! Aur shakeel, gall sunni na meri... ay aithey rakhan nu dassiya si?? ik minute vastey ainna kolo nazar chuk loh bas..."

Naani could never be satisfied with working staff on this earth. Not even by Shakeel or any kind of Raheel.

It was our Mussarrat Naani, ofcorse!

"Tauba hai ammi ki, bichari Norhan ko samjha dena tha aapne, ammi ki inspection ka burra na maaney!"

Lubna advised Shiza and she suppressed her smile while nodding her head. This saas - bahu never got along sweetly but were always there for eachother protectively.