Chapter 8: Fairgrounds

Narrator POV

C walks down the street with his hood up.

C: "Keep your power output in check." They said. "We don't want your heart to explode." They said. What was I supposed to do, let that girl die?

C keeps walking maneuvering around people. ELM was always a peaceful universe. The occasional family fight would break out and cause massive destruction, but other than that it was quiet. People just didn't want to hurt anyone. The universe is run by elemental families, each one passes down an element and only one person can be a specific type of elemental at a time. The Drake family of flames, the Smite family of lightning, the Shell family of gems three of the most powerful families have each lost their ticket to their once phenomenal power. The Drakes where all killed in a family feud with the Pulls, the family of earth, the only survivor inherited the element of fire during a random moment in grade school, that boy grew up to be Nothanial Drake. The Smites lost the element of lightning when the head of the house had an affair on his wife leading to a bastard named Anthony Truce to become the only lightning elemental. He's a nice kid, naive but still nice. Finally the Shells lost the element of gems to their daughter after they disowned her and kicked her out of the family. No one really knows how elements are passed on, but most say that they move as the universe sees fit. They'll want to stay in the same bloodline if possible, but it's not unheard of someone completely random getting an element they shouldn't have. Usually if this happens the family will go out and bring in this new elemental into their ranks or kill them. C then bumps into someone. He looks down and sees a kid with short black hair, dark skin, and blue eyes.

C: My bad.

He holds his hand out for the kid to take as the kid looks at him.

Kid: You're C! You're the first member of the Breed without an element, and you saved the universe with the Breed not to long ago!!

C: Yep. Now do you want to get up or are you just going to sit there?

The kid takes C's hand and C pulls him up. The kid then picks up his bags of groceries. The pile of bags is enough to block the kid's vision, so C takes some bags from him.

Kid: You don't have to do that.

C: Nah lead the way. If I give you these back you'll just end up crashing into a wall.

They start walking towards the outskirts of the city when C decides to talk to the kid.

C: So what's your name?

Kid: Hm? Oh I'm Warren, Warren Failt.

C: From the Failt family? The water elementals?

Warren: Yessir. My grandmother was the last water elemental and now I'm it.

C: Lucy Failt is you're grandma?

Warren: How do you know her?

C: Every elemental has a file back at the mansion, but I guess now I'll have to go in and update it. Ugh I hate paperwork.

Warren and C continue until they eventually reach a cottage about a mile North of the coast exactly two miles south of the city. C looks over and sees the crashing waves against the beach. His eyes trace the coast line as it leads to a huge cliff about six stories above the crashing waves.

C: Nice view. Bet it would look better from up there.

Warren: That cliff is sacred, according to mom anyway. I'm not allowed up there until I have control over my element.

They walk up to the door of the cottage when suddenly the door opens and a woman with the same skin tone and eyes as Warren comes out. She has her long curly black hair tied back in a ponytail.