Chapter 11: Familial Bonds

Narrator POV

C blocks a hit from the teenager before flipping him over his shoulder. The teen reacts fast and lands on his feet before rolling forward just in time to avoid C's kick. He pops up and throws his hand out sending a wave of water at C. He smirks and lets it hit him. The water freezes and the teen jumps back to avoid the shards of ice that were thrown at him. He lands on the ice and makes it melt back to water. The water slithers around the both of them as C smirks. He rushes in and swings at the teen, but a wall of water blocks it and then a high pressure blast hits him sending him crashing through several trees and a boulder. C grunts and gets up just as a sickle is held against his throat. He turns his head and sees the teen with a smirk on his face.

C: Alright you win, Warren.

Warren: YES!

Warren pulls the sickle away from C's throat and the water that formed it loses its shape and he absorbs it.

C: I say you're ready.

Warren: What if I don't get accepted?

C: Then we keep training. You'll get accepted eventually. Have you told your mom?

Warren shakes his head.

C: C'mon kid!

Warren: I'm sorry it's just I didn't want to worry her.

C sighs and puts his hands behind his head.

C: I get it, but come on we gotta tell her.

They walk back to the beach side house and see Susan sitting in a rocking chair on the porch. She sees them and smiles.

Susan: Hello, boys.

C: Good afternoon, Miss Failt.

Warren: Hey mom. Listen I-

Susan: You've been training to join the Breed. I know.

Warren: You do?!

C: Mom magic at its finest.

Susan: I've raised you your whole life Warren. I know you want to help people, and it's not everyday one of the most powerful people ever take an interest in you. I'd be disappointed if you didn't take his offer.

Warren smiles and rubs the back of his neck.

Susan: That being said. C, if my boy is hurt I'm holding you accountable.

C: Yes ma'am.

Warren walks up to his mom and hugs her.

Warren: Thanks mom.

Susan: You don't ever have to thank me son. You just go pass that test.

Warren: Of course!

Warren separates from his mom and walks up to C with a determined look.

C: You ready?

Warren: Let's do this!

Flashback over

C wakes up with a yawn. He checks the clock by his bed. It's 5pm, so he sighs and sits up. He stretches a little earning himself several satisfying cracks from his back and shoulders. As he goes to get out of bed however he feels a pair of arms wrap themselves around his waist. He looks behind him and sees Ryuko hugging him.

C: Come on GearEyes. I gotta get up.

Ryuko: Five more minutes.

C: I'd love to, but I honestly don't want to have the blonde brawler bombshell bust down my door because I didn't get up in time.