Chapter 20

A T H E N A

"If teardrops could be bottled there'd be swimming pools filled by models. Told a tight dress is what makes you a whore"

° ° °

Silky sheets are wrapped around me and the sun is shining through the window. Strong arms are wrapped around me, and a naked body is pressed against mine.

I sleepily open my eyes and roll over in the bed to see Vincenzo sleeping peacefully beside me. His arms fall beside him, and I see his eyebrows furrow in his sleep. 

His lips are slightly parted and his breathing is calm. I sit up and watch him for a second before I decide to take a shower and stand up. I grab a silky night robe, walk into the bathroom and turn the shower on.

After waiting a couple of minutes for the water to turn to the right temperature, I step inside the stall and let the water wet my body. I lean against the cold tiles, and close my eyes while taking a deep breath.

My lower lip starts trembling when memories come flooding back.

I clench my hands into fists by my side as I remember how I weakly reached for the razor, at the time out of options of what to do.

Vincenzo had hurt me so much, I felt so stupid and heartbroken. A tear rolls over my cheek. I let him ruin me. Me being the dumb and naïve girl, I believed his lies.

The same disgust as I had felt towards myself comes back. I turn off the shower and get out of the stall. I quickly dry myself and put my robe on.

Right when I exit the bathroom, I see Vincenzo putting his shorts on. When his dark eyes meet mine, he flashes me his beautiful smile.

"Good morning," he rasps out, and rakes a hand through his hair. I carefully take a step back, and send him a small smile. "Morning," I answer.

He starts walking over to me, and against my better judgement I let him wrap his arms around me and pull me against his chest.

"Slept well?" he asks, and rubs his hand up and down my back. "Yeah," I answer truthfully.

He hums. "Me too."

We stand like this for a while. "Do you have anything to do tomorrow night?" he asks. I think about it, but then shake my head. "No, why?"

His lips press against my forehead. "I have to attend this boring gala that I don't want to go to, but have to for work and make deals. Will you be my date?"

The word no is burning on my tongue, but when I glance up and look into his beautiful brown eyes, I give in.

"Of course," I smile, which he returns. "Good," he says, and pecks my lips.

"I see you've already taken a shower, let me fresh up a little and we can have breakfast together," he says, and walks into the bathroom. "Sure, I'll call room service," I yell, and grab the menu.

I silently curse myself for giving into him, and for going back to the weak 17-year-old I was, when there's a knock on the door. I tighten the robe around me, walk to the door and wrap my hand around the cool metal.

What I didn't expect were the blue eyes of Nicole meeting my green ones.

Both of our mouths part in surprise, and she lets her eyes travel over me. For a moment, I debate if I should act dumb and pretend as if Vincenzo isn't here and it is pure coincidence.

"Athena?" she asks uncertainly. I press my lips together and nod. "Yes?" I ask awkwardly. I see hurt flash through her eyes, and I know exactly how she feels.