Chapter 26

A T H E N A

"Midnight shadows, when finding love is a battle. But daylight is so close, so don't you worry 'bout a thing; we're going to be alright"

° ° °

"And when I held you in my arms, I decided that I never wanted to let you go again," Vincenzo tells me and nuzzles his nose into my neck. I remember that exact moment when I ended up in his arms again at that gala.

We're lying in his bed, naked while talking about the past. We just got back from his parents' house, where we had a lovely dinner. I got to know his family better and they were all nice and friendly. His mother is an amazing cook.

Things between Vincenzo and I are different. Now that I know how he feels about me, I feel like I'm complete.

His hand is grazing my bare back while we're both staring out of his window, watching the sun set. "You were really mean to me," I whisper while laying my head down his rising chest. He lets out a sigh.

"I know, cara. At first I wanted to push you away from me, because I didn't want to hurt you any further and I thought that by being mean it would've been easier for you. But I just... I just couldn't stay away. Fuck, I love you," he rasps out, and presses his lips against the skin of my neck. 

"I love you too," I respond and feel relief flood through me.

Ever since I said that, it feels like some kind of pressure is being lifted off of me. "Why didn't you tell me earlier?" I ask and look up at him. "I was scared," he whispers, sincerity written in his eyes.

"I wanted to tell you for so long but I didn't know how you would react, if you would believe me or not. And you hated me so much, I saw it in your eyes and I didn't know if it was worth it or not," he sighs. It gets silent, because I don't know what to say to that.

It's true that I hated him, but I desired nothing more than an explanation back then–but I was also angry.

"So... you weren't happy with Nicole?" I ask. 

"God no," he says and leans his head back into the pillow. That hurt feeling takes place in my chest again.

"Then why were you with her? Did you know how bad I felt thinking you left me for her? Of course, I get that because she's really pretty, no, beautiful actually," I ramble nervously.

I feel his hand on my cheek. "No one, and I mean no one, could ever compare to you. Understood, mia cara?" he asks. I nod with a blush.

"And like I told you before. I was numb when I was with Nicole. I didn't even realize what I was doing. All I remember is drinking until my body collapsed on the ground to forget the pain I was going through," he says, and takes me in his arms.

"You have no idea how happy I am having you in my arms right now," he continues.

"Did you... did you have any relationships?" he asks after some time, hesitation in his voice. I inhale deeply and turn to lay on my back. "Yeah, but they were nothing serious and none of them worked out," I shrug. He hums and places his hand on my stomach.

"So... did they touch you?" he asks, and starts sliding his hand a little lower. My breathing gets a little ragged.

"N-no," I stutter. A soft whine leaves my lips when his finger grazes over my clit.

"You sure about that, baby?" he asks.

I nod my head frantically. 

"Yes!" I choke out, and move my hips a bit to get more friction. I arch my back when his finger slides through my folds and back up. I cry out in frustration when he draws his hand away, and choke on my breath at the intense look he's giving me with his dark brown eyes.