Prologue

{Welcome to the Dawn}

Sixteen years before Under The Mountain...

The High Lord of the Dawn Court entered his room, exhausted from spending many hours on his throne and going over procedures to protect his court.

Thesan walked into his closet, removing his heavy royal attire, leaving himself only in his underwear. He placed a golden-silk robe over his shoulders, tying it closed. He stepped into his bathroom, doing his usual night routine. After he was done, he looked at himself in the mirror for a moment, seeing the lines of exhaustion under his eyes.

He scoffed, washing his face and patting it with a towel.

When he stepped out, he looked over to his bed. His lover, Zephyr, was soundly sleeping. Thesan admired him for a moment, taking in his every feature. There wasn't one thing that he didn't love about him.

Zephyr was the captain of the Peregryns, species of fairies who resided in the Dawn Court. He was a strong-built man, his upper body lean and capable of destroying anyone who crossed him. When he was not with Thesan, he would be out, making sure that the court was well and protected. There were people who were afraid of him, but those who knew him well understood why he was serious.

But when Zephyr was with Thesan, there was nothing but radiant kindness and happiness that flowed out from him. Thesan was the only one who truly knew who his lover was, knowing his secrets, his dreams, and the goals that he wanted to achieve. The connection that he felt with Zephyr was indescribable. There were times where he felt undeserving of the powerful male.

Thesan walked over to where his lover was asleep, leaning down to place a kiss on his forehead, the dark skin warm against his lips. He gently moved away from him, walking over to the grand piano that sat in the corner of the room.

He sat down, opening the piano fold, revealing the white keys. Thesan took a deep breath, putting his hands onto the keys, starting to play a random melody. He let the slow flow of music fill his ears, imagining a life filled with more than just his court.

He imagined having a family, imagined marrying Zephyr, imagined his court soaring and becoming stronger each year that passed. Thesan let those dreams become a reality in his mind, wanting nothing more than for them to just appear before him.

But as several moments passed, Thesan opened his eyes. He finished his melody, letting it end on a gentle high note.

When he took his hands off of the keys, he could hear the rain pouring out through his court. The wind pushed it towards the windows, water colliding with the glass. Thesan stayed there for a moment, staring out into the dark beyond, wondering what the future would bring him.

He stood up from the seat, turning off the light, before heading to his bed and snuggling up to Zephyr, who gladly went into his arms. The rain was drowning out the silence and Thesan wondered if the noise was going to keep him awake, but minutes later, he quickly went into sleep's embrace.

---

The High Lord woke to a loud knock on his door.

He groaned, not wanting to get out of his partner's warmth. But it was Zephyr who shifted, making himself get up and walk over to the door.

Thesan kept his eyes closed, overhearing the conversation.

"I am sorry to interrupt your slumber this early in the morning, captain," one of the guards said, "but there has been an unusual delivery at the front of the palace." He says.

Zephyr's groggy voice sounds, "What are you talking about? Why is there a delivery at this hour? And why at the front of the palace?" He asks with a hint of irritation.