Chapter Twenty-Five

Rory didn't know what the hell was going on, all she knew was that things were blowing up and she needed to get herself out of there while the Joker and his goons were distracted. With a grunt, she slowly got to her feet as she gripped her side. Rory could tell that there were a few cracked ribs at least, but she pushed through the pain and walked to the door. 

Grabbing the handle she opened it, but as she opened it someone came in from the other side and threw the door open knocking her back onto the floor with a hiss of pain. Looking up, she saw that it was one of the goons from earlier. The Joker must have sent him back to see if she was still around.

The goon looked down at her with a grin. "Boss said you might try to escape," he pulled a gun out of his back pocket and cocked it. "I'm curious, how did you get out of those?" he aimed the gun at Rory who was flat on her back trying to catch her breath and gripping her stomach.

"Broke my thumbs, hurt like hell too. Want to give it a try?" she taunted, panting softly.

The goon chuckled and walked closer so he stood above her and got on his knees, keeping her pinned to the floor. "Well, the boss said that if I found you trying to escape, I could just kill you. Looks like it's my lucky day." 

"I wouldn't consider this lucky." Rory lifted her knee and hit him in the gut before kicking him off of her and rolling to her feet. "One thing you idiots never understood, if I could kick your ass tied to a chair then I could still kick your ass without hands."

Getting to his feet, he aimed the gun at her and narrowed his eyes. "Then let me make this quick and painless for you." 

Rory darted to the side and barely missed the shot, it grazing her side. She gripped it tighter and saw the blood seeping through her tank top. The goon aimed again and Rory dodged too late this time, the bullet hitting her square in the thigh.

She let out a cry of pain and fell to the ground on her knees, she saw that the bullet went straight through. That was a plus to her negative situation. Looking up, the goon had the gun pressed against her forehead with a grin on his face.

"Say night night, little bird." 

Rory rolled onto her back and kicked the gun out of his hand, and flipped onto her feet. Both of them saw the gun several feet away and they ran. Ignoring the pain in her thigh, she dove for the gun and grabbed it not thinking before she shot him in the head. 

The goon fell to the floor with a thud, a bullet between the eyes. Rory laid on her back frozen in shock at what she had just done. Her eyes stared at the lifeless look of the man in front of her as she slowly got to her feet, keeping her grip on the gun.

It was her or him, and Rory made the choice. She kept telling herself that her options were limited, and she didn't have any other choice. Rory's hands started to shake, the gun rattling in her hand. She would have died if she didn't kill him first.

Rory kept telling herself those things over and over, convincing herself it was the truth. But was it?

She suddenly felt sick to her stomach, seeing the blood and brain matter seep out of his head made her stomach twist and she bent over and threw up. There was almost nothing in her stomach, so it was all stomach acid and it burned her throat.

Hearing noises behind her, Rory wiped her mouth and hid behind the opened door holding the gun still. It was a pair of footsteps, two people to be exact and they were heavy so she expected it to be two grown men. The power was flickering in and out, so she could barely see anything.

She heard them stop in front of the open door. Everything was silent for a moment before she heard them walk in. Taking a deep breath Rory crept out from behind the door, going behind the two men try to and get out the open door while she could.