Chapter Forty-One

"Again." Rory wiped her mouth, getting the small amount of blood on her lip. Roy looked down at her with a concerned look, Rory had only been out of the hospital for a couple of weeks and he was worried that she was pushing herself too hard. The doctor had said that she could increase her daily work out, but she was working too hard to get back in the game.

"Twinkle Toes, maybe we should take a break," he said, offering her a hand. 

"I don't need a break Roy, I need to get back on track so I can go back on patrol," she said, pushing his hand away and standing straight on her feet. Rory had a habit of trying to sneak out so Jason and Tim told Roy to take her to the safehouse they knew about to keep her out of trouble for at least a couple hours.

Roy let out a sigh and ran a hand through his hair as he gave Jesse a look. They both could see that she was pushing too hard, and it worried them. "Rory, he's right. You are pushing yourself too hard and you need to stop doing it." 

"I said I'm fine Jess!" she snapped.

Jesse hopped into the ring and walked towards her and pointed a finger at her. "No, you're going to listen to me. Tim and Jason asked us to bring you here for a reason and it's for your own good, what the fuck has you so hellbent on getting back onto the field?" he questioned.

Rory glared at him. "Nothing, I just hate being cooped up. The two of you should know this better than anyone," she muttered.

"You're right, the two of us know you better than anyone so we know when you have ulterior motives," Roy said, leaning against the ropes of the ring they were all in. 

Rory crossed her arms and turned away from both of them. Of course, the two people in the world who knew her best were the ones to call her on her bullshit. There was a reason she wanted to get back onto the field, but the second she told them what it was they would not let her out ever again. Rory had too many things at risk for her not to be able to go out.

Roy and Jesse had taken notice of her sudden silence. There was definitely something up with Rory and no one was leaving until she spoke. "Come on, talk to us. We aren't going to change what we think of you because of this, we've all been through so much together. We're like the three musketeers, through thick and thin we stick together."

Honestly, there were a lot of things that were on her mind. She and Tim were fixing on moving into that apartment after they solved this case and Slade was taken care of. She was worried about the case with Harley and Ivy, she was always worried about Tim and she couldn't stop thinking about her last encounter with Slade.

The other night, Damian had come up to her saying that it was his mother who had ordered the attack on her parents and even gave her an apology on Talia's behalf. The exchange ended with her giving him a soft pat on the shoulder and a small smile with a thank you. It was still hard for her to talk about her parents' deaths, they had a major impact on her. 

Jesse stepped forward and placed a hand on her shoulder. "Rory, come on." 

She turned slowly and looked at the two of them "You want me to be honest? Fine. I'm scared. I'm scared that Tim is going to wake up one day and realize that I am not who he thinks I am. I'm scared that he is going to get hurt because I am not out there to keep him out of trouble. But most of all, I'm scared that Slade is going to kill me before I finally put a stop to him." 

Roy let out a sigh. "Rory, revenge never ends well. You tried getting revenge on him the last time, and that's what got that family killed. You lose control of your actions when you're emotional and it isn't safe for yourself and others."

"So you're saying that I'm a danger to everyone around me?" she asked, looking at him with disbelief.

Roy quickly shook his head. "No! Fuck no! Rory, if you continue down this path of revenge then you will be. What happens if Tim gets hurt, or one of us because you are so hellbent on revenge against the man that killed your parents?" he asked.