Chapter 1

Her mother always said to her, "If you're on time, you're late." Well, this is one of those times she was going to be late as hell because on time went out the window over an hour ago.  She started with good intentions of getting to the annual Better Family Life Gala on time, but beauty took time, she did not wake up like this. Then, when finally ready to her liking, she did not expect Friday night traffic on Highway 40 into downtown St. Louis to be jam-packed. 

There had to be a better way. She exited Grand Avenue and figured she could cut through the city. She was not that familiar with the city so she punched her destination in her GPS. She could see the Arch in the distance, a good clue that she was headed in the right direction. Things were looking up for her. She could still salvage the night. She was to meet up with her best friend Jared at the Gala, and they would have a great time.

Then things got worse. She hit a nasty pothole somewhere that made her lose control of her car for a second, then the car started to wobble.  She steadied it as she pulled to the side of the road.

"Great! A flat tire!"

She took out her wallet and pulled out her AAA card. No way was she trying to change a flat tire in the expensive gown and five-inch heels she wore. Not now, not ever was she that type of woman. AAA to the rescue. Now she was going to be extremely late to the gala where it was no longer fashionable late, just embarrassing late.

AAA explained they could be forty-five minutes to an hour. She let out a frustrated yell into her car.  She could change it herself faster than that if she knew what she was doing. Then again, it could not be that hard.

She exited her summer white Yukon XL Denali, which was her pride and joy. She did not love many material things, but her Denali she worshipped. This was her second one, after having her first for three years, she got this one less than a year ago. She walked around and looked at her tires.

"What the hell?"

All four looked fine and were not flat.  She walked around again and kicked each one.

She went back inside the car and tried to start it up, but it made a ticking noise but would not start. How did a new car just die from hitting a pothole? She knew nothing mechanical about cars so she was confused.

"Oh no! Oh no, no, no!"

Not her baby. Not her exquisite ride that she pampered like it was a child.

"Girl, you better start for mommy and get me out of here." She kept trying to start the car again.

No luck. She popped the hood of the car and got out again. She pulled open the hood and a cloud of smoke billowed out. She coughed but used her phone to inspect around, careful not to ruin her cream Valentino evening gown. She did not know what she was looking for, but it seemed like a good idea to check it out.

She heard loud, bass music pulling up beside her car.

"Ooo, that's a sweet ride, shawty, you can't handle all that," the guy sitting in the passenger side shouted out the window.

"Naw, that ass in that dress making it do what it do," the driver yelled out.

Here she was stuck in the middle of the city, so far from home, and these two thugs probably wanted to carjack her, or rape her, or worse, kill her. She was about to be another statistic like many in the city. Gone and forgotten, her killers would never be found. Her body probably would never be found, just chopped in several pieces and scattered over the city.

What a way to go.

Flashing lights stunned them all as a truck pulled behind her car. She did nothing. Not move a muscle. This was all going down and she was too scared to do anything about it.