Chapter 32

It was hard getting out to Eureka to see Angel often. That drive out there and back was a killer, so he could not see her every day. He was fine with that. He had lots of work to keep him busy, working late most days. Then he had his girls. Shareefa and Symone's mother, Kendra, kept hounding him about more child support. What was he supposed to do? He was working hard as he could paying what he felt was decent.

And he only got to see them every other weekend? The system was so fucked up for the man trying to do the right thing.

"Hey daddy, we going back to Angel's place? I liked it there. My own room, privacy from the little brat," Ravyn said, getting in the passenger seat when he picked her up for the weekend.

"Me? I'm not a brat! You're just mean because of puberty!" Symone said to her from the back seat.

"What do you know about puberty, Mo," he asked her.

"I'on know, but she got it! That's what my momma said."

"Ugh! Tell yo momma mind her business, like you need to mind yo business!"

"Hey, I'm not having that all weekend," he said, driving off. "And no, we're not going to Angel's, so you better get along with your little sister."

"Dad, I'll just sleep in the living room," Ravyn said.

"Fine!" Symone said.

"So Angel dumped you again? See, she was too pretty for you daddy, you know she acts stuck up and everything."

"Now here you go in my business after telling your sister to get out your business."

"I'm just saying-"

"Me and Angel are cool."

"Oh, okay," Ravyn said and did not say any more the whole ride to his place.

He grabbed their things and they went inside. Symone ran and grabbed the remote control and turned on the TV. Ravyn stormed out into the bedroom. Fridays when they were over typically was pizza night. He was too tired to make it himself so ordering delivery it was. He settled on Imo's because it was the girls' favorite. While he waited, he went to watch TV with Symone.

"Daddy, is Angel coming over?"

"Naa, she can't."

"Why?"

"She's not feeling well."

"What's wrong?"

"Mo, do you have to ask a hundred questions?"

"But if she isn't feeling well, you should try and make her feel better. Did you give her some medicine? Give her some soup? When I feel bad, I lay down and my mom lays with me and cuddles with me and I feel better."

"She's not that kind of sick."

"Who's sick?" Ravyn said, walking over to them and sitting on the couch.

"Angel!" Symone said. "That's why she's not here. Daddy needs to make her feel better."

"What's wrong with her?"

"Why are y'all both so concerned with my girl right now?" he said, grabbing them and tickling him. "Ravyn, you don't even like her."

"Daddy stop, I'm too old for tickles," Ravyn said, pushing away. "I didn't say I didn't like her."

"I'm pretty sure you said that."

"I might have, I'on know. She cool, I guess."

"She took us to Six Flags!" Symone said. "I like her. Daddy, we should go see her and make her feel better."