Chapter 12

He was so out of his element. He was hanging with a bunch of dudes that were nowhere on his level. They went to college, they were in fraternities, they worked in offices and wore suits. They probably made three times what he made in a year. They probably lived out with the rich white people like Angel and drove big fancy cars he could only work on. All that, and he was enjoying himself with them.

They were just guys. Guys pretty much talked about the same things, women, sports, and cars and he knew a lot about all of those subjects.

"Hey babe," Angel said, walking over to him. "Are they boring you yet?"

"Naw, I'm good."

"My sister just arrived and if I don't get you over to meet her soon I'll never hear the end of it." She pulled him away.

So far everything was going great with her friends. Jared seemed like a cool dude and everyone else hit it off with good. Angel warned him her sister wanted things to work out with her and her husband, even though she knew he was a jerk.

"Hey Shay, little sister, finally made it to the party I see." Angel hugged her sister.

"Elmer canceled at the last minute, but I had a feeling he wouldn't come, and you know why," Shay said.

"Oh? No, why?" Angel asked.

"Oh Angel, you know." Shay looked at him, glancing at him from head to toe. "Ahem, and who is this?"

"Hook, this is my little sister Shay."

"If you call me little one more time," Shay declared. "So, this is the tow truck guy?"

"I told you he owns his own business."

"Yes," Hook remarked. "I do more than tow cars. It's a repair shop."

"But is a car repair shop really a business?" Shay said.

Angel let out a frustrated sigh.

"It's my business. I do real well," he said.

"I doubt it," Shay mumbled and walked away.

"Sorry about that," Angel said.

"No sweat off me. I'm not here to impress anyone." He kissed her cheek. "Come on. I know you want to hang out more with the birthday boy. Me and the fellas had a nice chat going on."

+++++++++++

She and her sister always worked well together because they both loved fashion as much as the other. Personality-wise they were nothing alike, so while they agreed on everything business-wise, they constantly were at each other's throats when it came to the other stuff.

"Look Shay, you don't have to like my man, like I said, he is MY man," she said, busying herself with work on her laptop.

"Girl, I know you said the sex was good, but you should have just left it at that. Good sex. What the hell are you doing flaunting him all around town?" Shay said.

"I'm not flaunting him anywhere. I'm getting to know the man and hanging out."

"Why? You're taking charity cases now? What can this man do for you?"

"I didn't ask him to do a thing for me. I'm dating him."

"Dating? Phuh! I don't think that's what you should call it. Listen, sis, I talked with Matthew, and he-"

"You what?" Angel said, looking up from her laptop.

"I said, I talked with Matthew and he said he wanted to work on his marriage. He wanted another chance. He said he tried working it out with you but then when he went home, you had that thug there."